• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

From physical keyboard to virtual.

I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue. I went from the BB Curve to the Storm and didn't have an issue. Then from the Storm to the Moto Droid with no issues at all. I had the X for a few weeks, which was awesome to type on. Plenty of real estate, which the TB will be about the same. I use Better Keyboard, so I'll have the same layout. I have the INC now and it's easy enough to type on, but when I use my husband's X it's a lot nicer for typing.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue. I went from the BB Curve to the Storm and didn't have an issue. Then from the Storm to the Moto Droid with no issues at all. I had the X for a few weeks, which was awesome to type on. Plenty of real estate, which the TB will be about the same. I use Better Keyboard, so I'll have the same layout. I have the INC now and it's easy enough to type on, but when I use my husband's X it's a lot nicer for typing.

The bigger screen will make all the diffrence , when I had my fascinate and X typing was much easier then the Incredible and when I use friends Evos the keyboard feels great as well. That extra space makes it very easy to type

Upvote 0
I can tell you this from a BlackBerry user.
I was very, very skeptical. Call them old school technology if you want (you'd be right) but for physical QWERTY keyboards, Berries are hard to beat.

I've been testing Email and Texting with my iPod (Testing for corporate use) and I can tell you, cocked sideways I can type on my iPod just as fast as my bb...and I don't even have swype available for it.

I know it'll be a small step, but I'll take it. Also...it'll help stop me from using the phone while driving...:)

Upvote 0
I've been a long term fan of a physical keyboard. MY first HTC smart phone the old PDA-2K had one. Even though it had the crappy membrane style I still liked it. To get some experience with a screen keyboard I dropped by VZW and played with an Android device with a 4 or 4.3 inch screen. I typed "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" (not all of the letters but close). I was really impressed with the speed and accuracy I could type while in landscape mode. I wouldn't say I am fully converted but given the other desireable features of the TB I was sold enough to place my hold deposit at BB.

In short, I think we will both like it in very short order.

Upvote 0
Physical keyboards are much better for those with small fingers/thumbs. I have large hands and could never come close to pushing just one key on my GF's old BB Curve. When I switched from my Inc to my DX I gave her my Inc and she thought she would hate not having a physical keyboard. But with predictive text, she absolutely loves the on screen keyboard much better. I had a BB pearl flip before and used that specifically because it had the Qwerty with the bigger keys. I can tell you I would never in a million years go back to sluggish BB nor a physical keyboard and neither would my GF.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones