1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General From physical keyboard to virtual.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Mitchell4500, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Mitchell4500

Mitchell4500 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Student
    USA
    I have an lg ally. It has a slide out keyboard. The screen is pretty small on my ally and typing on the screen is annoying. Do you think the thunderbolts will be better? Do you think ill get used to it.

Advertisement

2. daddyd302

daddyd302 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 1, 2010
    Male
    West Allis, WI
    It really depends. I can tell you it's not be as accurate. If you can get use to it and it does have a bigger screen, it should be easy to adjust.

I went from the BB pearl to the Iphone 3G, to the Droid, to the Evo, to the Epic and now Droid X. It takes some time to adjust but it'll never be as accurate as a keyboard.

3. arl16

arl16 Lurker
    None

Apr 27, 2010
    dajogejr likes this.
  4. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    It will be a bit frustrating the first few days but you'll get use to and a physcal keyboard will never cross your mind again.

5. lamoglinsgal

lamoglinsgal Android Expert
    None

Jun 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I wouldn't think it would be too much of an issue. I went from the BB Curve to the Storm and didn't have an issue. Then from the Storm to the Moto Droid with no issues at all. I had the X for a few weeks, which was awesome to type on. Plenty of real estate, which the TB will be about the same. I use Better Keyboard, so I'll have the same layout. I have the INC now and it's easy enough to type on, but when I use my husband's X it's a lot nicer for typing.

6. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Restaurant Owner and Chef
    Denver
    The bigger screen will make all the diffrence , when I had my fascinate and X typing was much easier then the Incredible and when I use friends Evos the keyboard feels great as well. That extra space makes it very easy to type

7. rdubbs007

rdubbs007 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    Not Getting Paid Enough
    OH-IO!
    If you can use the keyboard on the incredible with minimal trouble then the TB will be a breeze. I love my gingerbread keyboard, too.

8. dajogejr

dajogejr Member
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    I can tell you this from a BlackBerry user.
    I was very, very skeptical. Call them old school technology if you want (you'd be right) but for physical QWERTY keyboards, Berries are hard to beat.

I've been testing Email and Texting with my iPod (Testing for corporate use) and I can tell you, cocked sideways I can type on my iPod just as fast as my bb...and I don't even have swype available for it.

I know it'll be a small step, but I'll take it. Also...it'll help stop me from using the phone while driving...:)

9. swamp

swamp Member
    None

Feb 18, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I've been a long term fan of a physical keyboard. MY first HTC smart phone the old PDA-2K had one. Even though it had the crappy membrane style I still liked it. To get some experience with a screen keyboard I dropped by VZW and played with an Android device with a 4 or 4.3 inch screen. I typed "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog" (not all of the letters but close). I was really impressed with the speed and accuracy I could type while in landscape mode. I wouldn't say I am fully converted but given the other desireable features of the TB I was sold enough to place my hold deposit at BB.

In short, I think we will both like it in very short order.

10. Mitchell4500

Mitchell4500 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Student
    USA
    Thanks for all the replies. Iv used swype on my Ally and it lagged and I never really got used to it. I think it will work better on the bolt.

Cant wait :D

11. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Member
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Operator at TTM Technologies
    Chippewa Falls, Wi
    I went from the lg ax5000, the the TouchPro, to the TouchPro2, To the Incredible. i LOVED the tp2 keyboard, swore i would never switch, but i did and now i love touchscreen keyboards. i dont think ill go back to a psychical keyboard.

12. Teegunn

Teegunn Android Expert
    None

Apr 7, 2010
    Male
    Physical keyboards are much better for those with small fingers/thumbs. I have large hands and could never come close to pushing just one key on my GF's old BB Curve. When I switched from my Inc to my DX I gave her my Inc and she thought she would hate not having a physical keyboard. But with predictive text, she absolutely loves the on screen keyboard much better. I had a BB pearl flip before and used that specifically because it had the Qwerty with the bigger keys. I can tell you I would never in a million years go back to sluggish BB nor a physical keyboard and neither would my GF.