• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo 2.2.1 does not allow speed dialing?

jbremster

Lurker
Nov 29, 2010
I just got the 2.2.1 update on my Samsung Intercept. Now I have no speed dialing. The old 2.1 had a place to enter the speed dial number desired. The 2.2.1 doesn't appear to.

Also, the old 2.1 used to pull the number from the name. Ex: if I wanted to call my mom, all I had to do was enter 66 (66 equals "mo". It would pull up Mom, Mom cell, or any other name that had "mo" in it.) The new 2.2.1 doesn't do that either.

Am I missing something? Is there a place for peed dialing that I'm not aware of?

I am having the same issue, and so far, there is no fix for the Intercept that I can find. It seems that when the stock dialer was updated, the speed dialer feature went away all together. Now the favorites feature pretty much negates the traditional speed dial anyway, but if anyone comes up with any further info on this I am understandably curious.

Upvote 0
That was part of the Touchwiz version of the contacts.apk It is no longer there and favorites is designed to replace it. Also if your not aware you can long press the home screen and add direct dial for a contact to a specific number. That would negate speed dial. For any other questions as always please post them up and we will try to help.

Upvote 0
gregms ...I too need speed dialer. I searched every where on my Intercept andd I can't find speed dial options since the 2.2 update. I came out here hoping to learn how to access it. I've been checking out the speed dial apps in Market and Big Dialer seems to be a good choice per user review. I just hate to have to pay $2.17 for something Virgin should provide for free, but I really like having speed dial. You may want to check Big Dialer out.

Here's a link for Big Dialer: Big Dialer | RDTK

Upvote 0
gregms ...I too need speed dialer. I searched every where on my Intercept andd I can't find speed dial options since the 2.2 update. I came out here hoping to learn how to access it. I've been checking out the speed dial apps in Market and Big Dialer seems to be a good choice per user review. I just hate to have to pay $2.17 for something Virgin should provide for free, but I really like having speed dial. You may want to check Big Dialer out.

Here's a link for Big Dialer: Big Dialer | RDTK

Two apps that might help you.... Fast Call and Gang Book
Fast call opens up and you press a letter to get to the first name and then press the name and it dials it for you. Gang book can group contacts together for easier look up and contact via text or phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones