1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Froyo, Battery life and the EVO

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vmbgap, Aug 11, 2010.

1. vmbgap

vmbgap Member

Aug 11, 2010
    IT Manager
    Texas
    Has anyone else noticed after updating the EVO to Froyo (official release) that your batter life didn't get any better? In fact I believe my battery life got WORSE...

What is everyone else experiencing?

Advertisement

2. thedonk13

thedonk13 Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I don't know about your settings but I am getting approximately 14hrs of use out of my Evo and i get poor reception at work and text a great deal during breaks and when I get home. Also, this last saturday, i forgot my charger and the evo lasted for well over 24hrs without much usage, a few phone calls and few texts was it.

3. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2010
    No problems here. Read the fixing froyo threads.

4. slugbug

slugbug Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Longhorn Land
    I'm finally good to go here. At least 12+ hours of heavy use and 24+ of light us if I need it. I leave GPS on all the time. I've followed every tip and trick and did the HOW TO FIX.

I did order the 2x1500 battery + charger and carry a spare battery just in case, still keep a charger at home, at work and in my car. Don't want to get "stuck" just in case O need to make a ton of phone calls or need to use navigation.

Catch.22 likes this.
  5. sitlet

Apr 11, 2010
    Yep, I was getting over a full day, sometimes 2 full days (i'm a light user during the week when i'm at work) before the update. Now, I cant even get 7 hours out of it, not even using it. Yesterday, I unplugged at 4pm, it was dead by 11, and all I did was send a couple texts, made a 3 minute phone call, and checked facebook twice.

6. pl4tinum

pl4tinum New Member

Aug 12, 2010
    It has to have something to do with specific applications because I keep my Evo pretty lean app-wise and it's got great battery life. Other people I work with who have it are struggling to keep it alive thru the day, and are app wh0res.

7. E140

E140 Member

Jun 4, 2010
    I have bad battery life since the upgrade too. I use it a lot, always have. I guess I could be considered an app wh0re, or an app pimp depending. But it used to last me through the day. I used a task killer which stopped working after the upgrade and now I'm lucky to get half a day

8. Slick1020

Jul 13, 2010
    You need to uninstall your task killer. Then go to the Tips and Tricks thread and read the Battery Tweaks sticky posted by me. Follow the steps!

http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-evo-4g/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

9. con40

con40 Member

Aug 21, 2010
    My battery life has been great with 2.2 and running juice defender. Get at least 16+ hours out of it now.

10. Fatstogey

Fatstogey Member

Aug 26, 2010
    Best battery saver i noticed thus far is turning off 3g until i need it. Thats the one that really increased my life. Yesterday i only used 2g all day and only made calls. I charge it when i get home but after 10 hours unplugged my battery was still at 80%. But again all i did was make calls on 2g.

when that 3g stays off is when my battery life goes exponential. Same as today. all i did was 2g calls all day and my batter was at 90% still when got home from work 10 hours later.

Of course when im a work i dont use it much. but make some calls to my boss n the office n shit and friends and shit. But not too much time spent talking.

However i didnt before either and the battery was going faster just cause the 3g was always on. then i was looking and realized theres a damn widget for 3g on/off. now its much mo betta.

11. dbtklt36

dbtklt36 New Member

Aug 26, 2010

Anyone in this thread needs to understand one simple thing about the battery life. I am a commercial distributor of virtually every type of batteries there are, from cell/smart phones and laptops, to medical, to automotive or industrial. I see you coming! I love that many people are buying the crap that Google, phone manufacturers, app developers, and "service providers"(many of which are our clients) are selling in regards to Task killers/managers. As a salesman, my family is appreciative. As a consumer who actually uses my phone for business, rather than play, it sucks.

I am an expert in regards to batteries, so please understand this: ATK and other apps are effective in extending the life of your battery. Processes and applications running in the background DO affect the run-time of your device adversely. Your phone battery is designed to last roughly 2 years or a few hundred (300-400) cycles (charges) if cycled properly. The fact is, most ATK users on 2.1 were affected dramatically when the "froyo"/2.2 update took effect. Let me qualify this statement by saying those of us who use the phone for work time rather than "play-time" were more adversely affected. I, and many others, were getting 2-3 days of run-time on a single charge. Since the update, we are lucky to get 12-15 hours. That probably sounds OK to people that use their phones for gaming, etc.

Bottom Line - Processes and applications running all the time are doing so for multiple reasons. The primary reason is battery life. Roughly 71% of retail phone transactions in the U.S. can be attributed to poor battery performance, and do you think the entities I listed above don't understand this fact. Wether the consumer just says "screw it", why pay $50 for a battery when I can just "upgrade" my phone (and sign a new 2 yr $170/mo. contract) for the same cost, or the consumer is told the phone is "faulty" when it's just the battery. Who benefits from this? Not me as a consumer, Not you... (Just look at the group I listed) I pay about 1/6th of what a retail consumer would pay for an OEM Motorola battery... I may not like the fact that I'm being inconvenienced, but I can, and now do, keep a spare battery at all times.

When are you upgrading next and why?

P.S. - I use wireless daily and never vere from 3-G on the road. The same day I "upgraded", I went from 2-3 days of run-time to less than 1. All settings are the same.

12. Slick1020

Jul 13, 2010
    Until you become an engineer for Android and you create a blog saying that task killers does nothing good for Android then I will believe what you have to say. As far as I am concerned, they do not give out degrees to people who want to sell batteries for a living. I'm sorry, but an engineer has my Android cred like street cred in my opinion.

13. Fatstogey

Fatstogey Member

Aug 26, 2010
    After light use, calls and 4 or 5 sent pics and a lil Homerun baseball action my batt is at 70%. Unplugged for 21 hours 13m 52s.

Oh i do have a 1750 mah battery.

Fact is batteries suck. Its not the phone. Its the batteries. The battery sucks on the i phone too. Fact is batteries suck on any MID. The more it does the suckier the battery is.

All you can do is
    a. deal with it
    b. wait for a tegra 2 phone, if one is ever made
    c. get a cheapo phone that does nothing but call people.

14. t0ast3d

t0ast3d Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Student / Dev
    Oklahoma
    Check out my ROMs, 2.1 and 2.2, battery life 24 hours

15. dbtklt36

dbtklt36 New Member

Aug 26, 2010
    You're right... My degrees are in Marketing and Chemistry. I'm no power-geek with "street cred" for engineering. I'm just a person who enjoys my faith, family, work, and comfortable life-style. You go ahead and trust the words of your gods. The pied pipers are calling you, just keep following...

Honestly, I could care less and I'm not getting rid of my phone. It works, so I'm fine... I just understand making money and I'm sorry, but even Android engineers have incentive to stretch the truth when it's profitable.

Tags: