• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Froyo sucks!!!!

I still run vista on my laptop :D but my business still uses XP thoughout our network. I own an automation company in the oil industry. We tried programming scada systems with vista and 7 but we still have alot of compatibility issues. XP is still the OS of choice in this industry. The key word being choice. I chose vista and beta tested it and it wasn't the right choice for our company. I didn't get a choice on the 2.2 update nor did I want it. Our scada systems have critical alarm call outs on high oil tank levels and one spill can devastate my business. Guess how i get my alarms? Email!!!! Thats why i'm so frustrated.

OK, first...people like you were the only problem with Vista ( IE: They took one look, had a problem and screamed it was a POS. Vista was a markable improvement over windows XP once individual developers properly updated their drivers. ) Sorry, but this one really grates on me. Yes, it had it's hiccups...so did ( and does ) XP. Same with 98, 95, 3.1, mac OSx, Ubuntu, even pocket calculators have problems. It is the nature of the beast. These things are so complex, yet incredibly sensitive that issues are completely unavoidable. On top of this, you should never judge a book after having read only the first page.

I do feel for you, and it sucks that you got caught with the bad luck...by the upgrade in and of itself is perfectly good. There is some extraneous factor that has affected things for you ( evidenced by the fact the vast majority of people don't have these problems. ) and we may never learn what that factor is, but VZ is working with people to help with their issues ( You are the proof here,"Called Verizon and they are sending me a new/refurb Unit." from another post by you. )

Calm down a bit, when you get your new phone try it out. Once you get settled into it, and have any problems solved, you will see that Froyo is nice and a markable improvement over 2.1

It's to be expected though:) We still have to tell people we landed on the moon, etc.

Upvote 0
I still run vista on my laptop :D but my business still uses XP thoughout our network. I own an automation company in the oil industry. We tried programming scada systems with vista and 7 but we still have alot of compatibility issues. XP is still the OS of choice in this industry. The key word being choice. I chose vista and beta tested it and it wasn't the right choice for our company. I didn't get a choice on the 2.2 update nor did I want it. Our scada systems have critical alarm call outs on high oil tank levels and one spill can devastate my business. Guess how i get my alarms? Email!!!! Thats why i'm so frustrated.

I do agree it should be easier to disable the update notifications by choice. However, I have read ( though lost where they were ) methods of doing this, and you never were forced to upgrade. Strongly advised yes, but in the end you did have the choice.

PS: You didn't apply an untested major OS upgrade on a critical device, did you? You did have a backup or other device as your main, correct?

Upvote 0
I put a new Rom and kernel on my phone...So I'm now using SkyRaider with Launcher Pro Plus...I will say that it's running a lot better...I still have an issue with battery life but other than that I really like the way its running...I have no issue with my phone freezing up so far...That was the biggest problem...No problem with the camera not working...There are still some things running on their own but I'm just gonna try to leave them alone...I wanted to say thanks for the help...

Upvote 0
Not to get off topic...but the reason I found this was I was searching for help on fixing my beloved Dinc....which was truly incredible before FROYO. I now cannot get through a work day without charging. And the insane amount of absolute crap that Verizon has put on my phone that i will NEVER use and cannot remove is the worst thing I have ever seen!!! Skype....really!!! Uh...NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
I run my phone as is and it is not rooted....so for people to say they have no problems when the internet is FLOODED with people complaining about FROYO on Dinc seems like crazy crap.
And my apps have not changed from before so my battery issues being blamed on apps doesn't seem right either. I never complained about the battery life before and it was not very good...i just planned around it and made sure I had my charger...but this is unacceptable!! And the charging problem is it keeps stopping charging ALL THE TIME!!!! If you watch it, it charges for a bit...then stops...then starts....then stops....then.....on and on.
I don't mean to be a bitch about this, but I cannot continue to use this for business if this doesn't get better soon. I never had to do a battery pull due to freeze up...EVER...that is until FROYO.

Upvote 0
OK, first...people like you were the only problem with Vista.

This, this, a thousand times, this.

People bitched so much about Vista, and I had it from the beginning and never had a SINGLE solitary issue. People were just doing it wrong.

Just like people are doing now with their phones.

Upvote 0
This, this, a thousand times, this.

People bitched so much about Vista, and I had it from the beginning and never had a SINGLE solitary issue. People were just doing it wrong.

Just like people are doing now with their phones.

You say that "People were just doing it wrong", yet perhaps overlook that not all of us are sufficiently well versed or interested in the deep nuances of software to understand what's going on. Maybe some, and I include me in this group, look at the phone, computer or whatever as a TOOL and don't the time or inclination to become immersed in its inner workings.

I note how too many software people forget that "control-alt-F2-backlashi-tilde" is NOT an easy to remember shortcut.

Make it simple & intuitive, not overwrought BS.

As for Froyo? I say it stinks. I now have issues with answering the phone (swipes not recognized, which multiple techs tell me is a known issue), weird orientation issues and more, NONE of which happened before. And no, I am not "rooted" (don't know what that is) and have ZERO mods.

Upvote 0
FROYO (2.2) SUCKS!
Don't load this crap on your phone, it’s crippleware, it doesn't allow pdanet to run, it prevents you from creating a wifi hotspot, would not let me get on to many wifi sites, does not allow real skype to work, it loads a worthless crippleware version of skype that will not let you make internet calls, it ruins the battery life, and they load a bunch of crappy software and does not allow you to delete it. Things that 3rd party apps allowed you to do Froyo no blocks you from doing those things, Froyo Sucks! And they won't let you revert back to 2.1 once you do it, you’re stuck. Someone needs to start a class action lawsuit. I don’t want to risk rooting until my contract is up. There are no files of 2.1 around to load back on, no known way yet to downgrade back to 2.1. Verizon has a long history of crippling their phones, this is the most blatant crippling yet. I paid big buck for 2.1 features, now that they have my money they took those features back without my permission, they robbed me without warning, lying to me saying it was an upgrade, it is mainly a crippling to force you pay them to do things I was able to do for free on the phone that I paid them for. Posting in a couple places just to warn as many people as I can before they ruin their phone.

Upvote 0
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you haven't done a full factory reset and installed the latest flash update.

Please, feel free to drop the attitude and I would be glad to point you towards fixing any issues and helping you get the full Froyo experience, which DOES include battery and speed improvements.

Please tell me how to do it. When I updated to Froyo, my speaker sounds like crap now.

Upvote 0
Ummmm, George.... Verizon didn't come up with 2.2, Google did. And Google has no interest in crippling anyone's phone... period.

Oh contraire, it goes on all the time, Verizon has a long history of crippling phones, even androids, here is just one example
News: Android walking navigation, Verizon cripples Samsung Fascinate, Google Instant launched, Apple relaxes dev tools restrictions
It's actually HTC/Motorola who tweeks the ops but they do it at Verizon's demands, they refuse to sell phones that do for free what Verizon typicaly charges extra for.

Upvote 0
Ummmm, George.... Verizon didn't come up with 2.2, Google did. And Google has no interest in crippling anyone's phone... period.
Android needs to be tweeked slightly to fit each phone, some "fitting" required for the differances in hardware, the differances between a Motoral droid x and an HTC Incredible for instance, and they can choose to allow or not allow the ops to control a hardware feature for instance.

Upvote 0
I wanted to respond to the members who are so quick to criticize those who come here and out of frustration because of their experience with the Incredible and FROYO update. I am one those that has come here seeking other users input as an alternative to pitching my phone as far down the street as I can so I can take it to my local Verizon Store and explain that I had an unfortunate accident. (Unfortunate indeed!)

Even as I type this, I have to stop every 3 or 4 words and reposition my curser because my phone, connected to my computer via USB cable to charge, because it only last a few hours following the FROYO update (I could at least make it through the day prior to), continues to connect and disconnect disrupting my typing. Connect. Choose a connection type. Off. Connect. Choose a connection type. Off.

It IS frustrating, and I don't condone the language used to express this frustration at times. But I sure understand it!

Now, you can resort to telling me how irresponsible I am for having this phone and not having the appropriate charger in hand and relying on the USB cable to PC connection to charge. But that isn't really why this forum exists, is it?

I have not "rooted" my phone, I also have not done a factory reset, although I intend to. I want to make sure that I have everything backed up including some apps that I have not updated because of problems reported with the updates.

To those of you have offered reasonable suggestions, thank you for your help and support! I truly appreciate the sincere contributions you have made. It has helped to know that there are solutions to what has amounted to a very frustrating experience with my phone. I came from using a BlackBerry, which was an okay PHONE. I loved my Incredible for about the first 6 weeks. No complaints, then I was force fed the update. I apparently was one of the minority that has had nothing but problems since the update. Minority or not it has been very frustrating to have spent the money I did on this phone, have a great experience and then have what feels like a complete lack of respect to force this problem on me.

For the rest of you, why don't you set up a forum where you can express your "awesomeness" to each other and even talk about those of us with jobs, families, friends, ...lives outside of the world of Android. I am grateful for those that have jobs, friends, families and lives that revolve around Android. Your experiences and knowledge that you can and do share with us is great! Humility is a great thing too though.

I'm done. I'm sure I'll feel better after I do the factory reset.

;)

Upvote 0
I also have had nothing but problems with froyo. Loved this phone until froyo. I also must be in the minority. The update caused my phone to run so hot that when I took it to the Verizon store to find out what was happening the manager took out the battery and showed everyone how much more hot the phone was compared to the battery. Factory reset, lost my phone number for 2 days, factory reset, losing 3g, losing3g, lost 3g, soft reset, reprogram, factory reset, new phone, lost 3g within 15 minutes of powering up, soft reset-back for now, not optimistic. Used to love this phone-not now since froyo. Something is wrong and it seems Verizon knows but can't fix yet(or won't)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones