• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 and cold weather

kabbie_mcfeely

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2009
Not a complaint !!!!!!!!

Living in Minnesota it get pretty cold here it was -15F when I got on the bus yesterday to go to work. While standing there waiting (10 minutes) for the bus I was using my phone and did not notice anything not working right.

I thought for sure the touch screen would be a little slow, but no. The key board worked fine. Everything worked great. On my old flip phone the screen would "fog" over sometimes when it was cold.

I will give it a good test on Friday morning. Its supposed to get down to
-20F that morning. Going to set phone on porch for 20 minutes or so while I get ready for work. I will post how that turns out.

It was -22 when I got up this morning. I placed the phone on the porch right under the thermometer. About 30 minutes later it was -20 and the phone was working just fine. I did leave it on never time out this time. Not sure if that skewed the results. 30 minutes at -20 and phone still functions seems like an ok deal to me, LOL.

On the 31 I will outside on a frozen lake most of the day. I will post the results for that also.

I also thought that heat might affect use of the phone some. Although I thought humidity would cause more problems than just heat. That will have to wait till either I visit a sauna or summer which ever comes first.

Upvote 0
The thing I'd be concerned about is the batter life at cold temperature. I have some experience with digital cameras in the cold weather (I'm in Minnesota too) and lithium ions suck when it gets cold. Keep your G1 warm if you can. With digital cameras, it's easy to care around a spare set of batteries in your pocket - the G1 doesn't make it easy to swap the battery out so you can keep going.

Upvote 0
The thing I'd be concerned about is the batter life at cold temperature. I have some experience with digital cameras in the cold weather (I'm in Minnesota too) and lithium ions suck when it gets cold. Keep your G1 warm if you can. With digital cameras, it's easy to care around a spare set of batteries in your pocket - the G1 doesn't make it easy to swap the battery out so you can keep going.

The past couple nights and hopefully a couple more nights, I have had it out using the maps and browser looking for the Winter Carnival Medallion. Battery use has not been to bad since getting replacement battery. The only bad thing is taking off gloves to touch screen when so cold.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones