• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 in weird limbo state

sffan15

Lurker
Jul 5, 2010
Hi all,

I've been trying to install an OS on a G1 for about 2 hours now. I have gone through about 20 posts and followed instructions to the T. I own a pc repair company and I post regularly to some windows and general computer repair forums, so I'm pretty technical. Since I'm 100% stuck, I'm hoping one of you can help.

I don't know anything about the history of the phone, but it currently boots to the rainbow bootloader screen:

DREA100 PVT 32B
HBOOT-0.95.0000
CPLD-4
RADIO-2.22.19.261

Serial0

I can drop the NBH file from DREAIMG-RC29.zip off of google's android file list into the root of the SD card and get the radio back to 1.22 no problem. I have actually tried 4 different versions of RC29 and all seem to work the same.

I have downloaded about 5 different versions of Android 1.5 (as well as 2 versions of 1.1, and a few of 1.6), changed them to update.zip, and attempted to load the OS and every single one of them fails*(see below for error) in the step "Verifying update package..." EXCEPT signed-kila-ota-148830.de6a94ca.zip. This one actually goes through all of the installation steps without erroring, tells me to hit home+back to reboot, says its updating the radio, goes to a screen with an image of a box pushing an arrow into a phone.... but then it reboots to the rainbow bootloader screen again!

*Error from above: E:Failure at line2: assert file_contains("SYSTEM:build.prop".... MORE ... Installation aborted.

When I reboot the phone now, it immediately tries to reload dreaimg.nbh. If I delete dreaimg.nbh off the SD card, the rainbow screen flashes (very quickly) to a gray screen that says "Loading.... No Image File!"

I know the phone isn't technically "bricked" because I'm able to interact with it, it reboots when I hold green+red+menu, but it sure seems like I'm in an infinite loop at this point.

My only goal is to get an OS loaded on this phone. ANY OS at this point.

Any suggestions on steps I can take? Need any other information?

Thanks alot for taking the time to read my post. I appreciate your time.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones