• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help G1 Keyboard Issue - Letter Stuck

TiSHuS

Lurker
Jan 5, 2010
Using a t-mobile G1. The screens keep getting taken over with a constant series of repeated letters "pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp" or in the dialing "777777777777777777777777777777777"

It's almost impossible to get settings up because by default a browser is opened and it searches "ppppppppppppppppppppppppppp" - try to go back to home and the browser opens again.

I tried to disable the touch keyboard but it still happens (happens with and without it) so it must be the actual device keyboard. Tried to disable this but there is no option.

Because the phone is constantly typing "pppppppppppppppppppppppppp" (even when locked) the battery is running flat always.

Locale and text:

Android keyboard unticked
Android keyboard - on screen keyboard settings
Device settings - built in keyboard settings

Firmware version: 1.6 (unlocked)

Also when the browser is open and I try to change the "input method" only option is Android Keyboard.

Please help.

Yeah I know my P key is stuck.. thanks for attempting to help me out, but you're pointing out the obvious ;)

So I already tried jiggling it etc prior to posting here, and it will not come unstuck.. so my original question.. is there any way to disable the keyboard device?

Issue is that everything is taken over with "ppppppppppppppppppppppppp" and even when the screen is locked this constant typing runs in the background and drains the battery.

I tried installing an app that that forces the screen to sleep/lock and this still did not work. I cannot get a replacement phone as we purchased this while living in USA (with insurance) but then canceled our t-mobile plan when we moved out of the country, so because the plan and insurance are no longer active, a replacement phone is not an option.

Any ideas?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones