• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

G1 Performance Tips

GeoUSA

Android Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008
Anyone have performance tips to share? My G1 is running especially slow lately with long delays before displaying icons on the homescreen, initiating a call, displaying contacts, hesitation within games, etc. Unsure if there is a correlation, but it seems extra slow after installing the latest update to maps with Buzz and other enhancements.

I'm not ready to root my phone. Below is my list of tips which improve performance somewhat. Anyone else have tips to share?

1. Clear the cache in the browser, Market, and Map
  2. Uninstall and reinstall Facebook (doesn't have a Clear Cache feature)
  3. Disable a home City in the Weather Channel app
  4. Uninstall unused apps
  5. Remove seldom used widgets from home screens
  6. Reboot

I notice that updating Google Maps makes my G1 run a little slower too...

I've never tried uninstalling the updates though to see if it has any effect on the performance...but even if it did...it wouldn't matter because I'd just re-install them...

I use Taskiller periodically to close any opened apps that may still be lurking in the memory...

Also, in addition to clearing cache from browser etc., I clear data/cache from apps and games...like Twitter apps that keep timeline caches...and remove any games I don't play anymore....

Another suggestion for apps like Facebook/Twitter etc., would be to set your update intervals to a smaller amount of time...I'm guessing that it'll improve performance as it won't be loading the app as often to check for updates...

I have a Home location set in "The Weather Channel" app, never really tried not setting one to see if it makes a difference...but I know that the widget makes my phone run stupidly slow...so I removed it...and just use the notification from setting a Home location...

Apart from that, I reboot every few days just to flush everything out...

Upvote 0
The Dream's memory is very low. It's certainly a good idea to keep some empty space by deleting apps you don't use. Also free your RAM by killing anything you don't need. Some apps run in the background, go into their settings and see if you can stop that.

I had the same issues, but now, after rooting my phone and using apps2sd, it's very smooth. I have >70 apps, quite a few running in the background, home locked into memory, and the phone is very smooth most of the time. It takes long to start up though. I know you're not ready to root yet, but just thought I'd share my experience with you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones