• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

galaxy nexus to rezound people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
S-off isn't an issue that involves the day to day operation of the phone. It's an issue you have. :)

Naturally, but when I'm contemplating keeping the nexus which is open/rootable/etc vs. the rezound which is not, it's something I have to weigh into my decision. That said, it is looking more and more like my expectations out of a SAMOLED screen are just flawed and that I just need to consider only LCD (or newer technologies) screens for my particular usage model (lots of dark-room video watching). :(

Upvote 0
Naturally, but when I'm contemplating keeping the nexus which is open/rootable/etc vs. the rezound which is not, it's something I have to weigh into my decision. That said, it is looking more and more like my expectations out of a SAMOLED screen are just flawed and that I just need to consider only LCD (or newer technologies) screens for my particular usage model (lots of dark-room video watching). :(

I'm sure that S-off will eventually come. The phone has been out how long?

Upvote 0
I feel the same way. The reasons are slightly different for me, but I almost feel like it will be relief to return the nexus, despite all I love about it. :( I sort of think the signal issues might get fixed. But if the galaxy note is any indication of how Samsung will treat the Nexus' video issues, then I will be glad to wash my hands of it. :cool:

Verizon's announcement of a fix with no ETA (which may only "break" how the signal indicators work) doesn't fill me with confidence, either.

Upvote 0
I'm sure that S-off will eventually come. The phone has been out how long?

True, it hasn't been that long. I guess I was just wondering due to all the negativity I saw in various forums about the Rezound getting S-OFF, but it was probably just people trolling or prematurely announcing things when they had not actually achieved S-OFF. :) The Incredible 2 seemed to have more developer momentum behind it, and it took 2 months or more to get S-OFF, didn't it? I think if I wind up swapping my Nexus for the Rezound, I will be ok with temp-root to clean the crapware off of it and make a few tweaks.

Upvote 0
Verizon's announcement of a fix with no ETA (which may only "break" how the signal indicators work) doesn't fill me with confidence, either.

Yeah, good point. It's no guarantee it'll fix the signal issues some are having. I've noticed some spotty coverage and terrible coverage when I enter buildings, but that wasn't my major complaint about the phone in my case.

Upvote 0
I had the DX and like everyone else was promised that a software update would fix the volume issue. Well, the software update came and went, but the volume issue remained the same.

A lesson I learned after owning that phone. I will never trust a company who promises to fix something with a software update. From now on, if it's something I can live with when I buy the phone then so be it. Otherwise, it's going back or I am not buying it.

Not according to this:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Droid-X-with-2-2-and-old-problems-Had-it-been-fixed/td-p/292782

Upvote 0

I was part of the pre-test for the update and a member at the moto forums. And it's funny how it goes. Some said it made it louder (which I think is a figment of peoples imagination) and some said it did nothing. For me, I noticed no appreciable increase in the volume after the update.

It was a case of motorola using a small crappy speaker, just like the Nexus. Unacceptable. People can believe what they want to believe, but no software is going to make a tiny, crappy little speaker sound louder without severe distortion. I do not trust companies who make crappy hardware and then when people complain say they can fix it with a software update.

Upvote 0
I do not trust companies who make crappy hardware and then when people complain say they can fix it with a software update.

I hate to say this and disenchant your attitude towards HTC, but this is exactly what happened when the Thunderbolt was released. I'll give HTC credit for appearing to address the issues that plagued the Thunderbolt on the Rezound, but the Nexus OTA update sounds like the exact same "Audible" they ran on the Thunderbolt. Who knows though, this might have more to do with Verizon's 4G capabilities than the manufacturers themselves. When you consider how many other 4G devices have had similar issues, and combine that with the same tired "OTA update will fix these issues" BS, you start to wonder if it's Verizon's fault.

Upvote 0
I have joined the DarkSide and exchanged my Nexus for the Rezound. I got the extended battery so it's charging now. But not before I did some tests and set up my accounts. Signal strength, which was my biggest concern (which of course effects battery life) comes out like this:

Rezound > or = Droid X....it's a tough call here. The dBms fluctuate and I need more testing but that's what I see now. BTW, I see no difference in strength between the extended and normal battery but again that's first impressions. What is gone is the uber dead zone I was getting with the Nexus. I have not yet seen a -120dBm reading. I set all phones on these tests to CDMA. My 4G is still sporadic for the Rezound in my house but I live in a bad signal neighborhood so I'll be using WiFi. On the other hand I should benefit from the better radio/antenna at work where my Nexus battery was drained at an alarming rate. This 2750 mah extended battery should fix that in any case. I've added widgets to Sense and set it up pretty much how it want....it's buttery smooth.

Reactions: BlueBiker
Upvote 0
I hate to say this and disenchant your attitude towards HTC, but this is exactly what happened when the Thunderbolt was released. I'll give HTC credit for appearing to address the issues that plagued the Thunderbolt on the Rezound, but the Nexus OTA update sounds like the exact same "Audible" they ran on the Thunderbolt. Who knows though, this might have more to do with Verizon's 4G capabilities than the manufacturers themselves. When you consider how many other 4G devices have had similar issues, and combine that with the same tired "OTA update will fix these issues" BS, you start to wonder if it's Verizon's fault.
Not sure how this applies to me. Never owned a TB. I'm not a HTC fanboy. What I posted is a general statement that applies to all phone makers. In fact, I am still on the fence about the Rezound. I feel like I am part of the whole 4G LTE experiment.

Upvote 0
Well whats the next best thing coming out? Is there another Nexus coming within a month or so, or is the nexus the last good phone releases for a few months.. i love this nexus, but im deciding now if i need to do a reset on it and take ot back to vzw for the rezound... or should i wait for samsung to fix all my issues.. or fire the ole droid x back up and wait for the next batch... opinions

Upvote 0
Not sure how this applies to me. Never owned a TB. I'm not a HTC fanboy. What I posted is a general statement that applies to all phone makers. In fact, I am still on the fence about the Rezound. I feel like I am part of the whole 4G LTE experiment.

You said you distrust any company that claims an OTA update will fix reported issues. This is what Verizon/HTC did with the Thunderbolt. Verizon's attempting the same "fix" with the Nexus.

Upvote 0
Absolutely loving the rezound so far. Only thing I really miss on the nexus is the sleekness and ics. The screen is beautiful and the devic,e although a little thick, feels comfortable in the hand. I'm holding a 4g connection much, much better than the nexus and pulled 40.5 mbps outside the mall where I swapped phones. Not a sense fan either so I'm hoping for s-off and cm9 soon hehe

Upvote 0
Volume plus is not a good solution? I just downloaded it to change the equalization of my speaker which is too tinny for my tastes.

At least on my second nexus (didn't use volume+ on the first one), volume+ did work to increase the volume but it also made sounds distorted (e.g. during Google navigation). The rezound speaker is much louder and clearer.

Upvote 0
You said you distrust any company that claims an OTA update will fix reported issues. This is what Verizon/HTC did with the Thunderbolt. Verizon's attempting the same "fix" with the Nexus.

Don't forget the droid charge. Waited and waited for the update to fix the data issues. 2.3.6 no less. Not fixed. Data issues as bad as before. Atleast hTC grew from the tbolt. Samsung has 2 broken 4g phones I'm afraid. Hope not for the Nexus owners sake. We didn't hesitate taking the Gnex back after a week with it. I think it was bad luck given them near identical model numbers.
Charge (SCH-I510) and GNex (SCH-I515).

Upvote 0
I hated having to return my Nexus. Detested doing so. While I love my Rezound, I'm very disappointed at the Nexus' shortcomings preventing it from achieving its potential as the stellar phone it was meant to be. These bugs truly hold it back. Loved ICS. Loved the design of the hardware and how it felt in-hand. But there's no excuse for things like the speaker volume being ridiculously low, signal dropping completely in coverage areas, and call audio quality being iffy, etc. These are basic functions in any phone that are just expected to plain work, regardless of carrier or manufacturer. Yet, these are also essential functions, without which, a phone might as well be a paperweight. Aside from the yellow tint in the Rezound's camera shots and the idiotically flush physical buttons, the phone worked and worked well. I was excited when I switched from my first Rezound to the Nexus. Sadly, I ended up relieved to be able to switch back after just a few days. I'm glad, however, that there are those not experiencing all of these issues. I hope they can be resolved. Especially when you consider the non-advanced users who will see this as a potential cool phone to switch from. The phone needs good publicity, not bad.

You said you had Rezound, returned it for a GNEX, then returned your GNEX for a new Rezound? How many times does Verizon allow you to return a phone? I have a GNEX but having a lot of speed problems and other things I dont like. I want to return it for a Rezound so I can try it at home for a few days. If my speed doesnt improve here can I ship it back again for another GNEX. I remember VZW told me I have until Jan 15th to return my phone but I can't remember how many times your allowed to in that period?

Upvote 0
You said you had Rezound, returned it for a GNEX, then returned your GNEX for a new Rezound? How many times does Verizon allow you to return a phone? I have a GNEX but having a lot of speed problems and other things I dont like. I want to return it for a Rezound so I can try it at home for a few days. If my speed doesnt improve here can I ship it back again for another GNEX. I remember VZW told me I have until Jan 15th to return my phone but I can't remember how many times your allowed to in that period?

Only one return afaik.

Upvote 0
Only one return afaik.

Damn, this make my choice even harder. I might have to go to a different mall, the VZW store near me, the 4G on the Rezound didnt work, dont understand why? Anyways, I couldnt compare my GNEX with it. There model GNEX worked and I got the same speeds as that though. If I did ship back my Nexus I dont see the Rezound being worse in the speed department? With my luck my Rezound would be worse LOL.

Upvote 0
Damn, this make my choice even harder. I might have to go to a different mall, the VZW store near me, the 4G on the Rezound didnt work, dont understand why? Anyways, I couldnt compare my GNEX with it. There model GNEX worked and I got the same speeds as that though. If I did ship back my Nexus I dont see the Rezound being worse in the speed department? With my luck my Rezound would be worse LOL.

Maybe you can find a VZW employee with a rezound who is willing to test with you in a few places? :) Or ask on Craig's list? heh

Upvote 0
Maybe you can find a VZW employee with a rezound who is willing to test with you in a few places? :) Or ask on Craig's list? heh

All the Reps have GNEX lmao! It was 2 days before Christmas so maybe they werent really trying to help me out? Who knows? I'll just try a different store, are 3rd party stores able to do the same things as a VZW store, example Wireless Zone?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones