• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Nexus vs. Galaxy S3 vs. Nexus 7

MeS117

Lurker
Jun 29, 2012
I have had it with Blackberry, and want to go back to android after using 2.0 in my previous phone.

Initially, I was debating between the Galaxy Nexus and the Galaxy S3 LTE. Then, a couple of days ago, the Nexus 7 was announced, and could be a much cheaper alternative to suit my needs.

I mainly wanted to come back to an android device for the customization, gaming, good web browsing, gorgeous screen, etc.

Quadrant scores for all three devices show that the Galaxy S3 (≈5000) still 'beats' the Nexus 7 (≈3500). The Galaxy Nexus scores (≈2000).

Reviews of the Nexus show that games lag at times, but are still 'okay'.

The Galaxy S3 is flawless in almost every test. I expect the Nexus 7 to be as well.

My dilemma is that each device has pros and cons that I can not form a decision by.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Galaxy Nexus

PROs---------------------------------------- CONs

Slickest looking device----------------------- Certain games lag
Fancy LED Notification Light------------------ Battery Life not very good
Best UI (between GNex and S3)-------------- Only 16 GB internal storage
Will have Android 4.1 Jellybean--------------- Soft Keys take up part of screen
Inexpensive ($350)
Still Decent

Galaxy S3

PROs------------------------------------ CONs

'Lag free' device-------------------------- Ugly Design
Larger screen than GNex------------------ Ugly Stock UI
Most likely have 4.1 ROM available (XDA)--- More expensive ($750 taxincl.)
UI can be changed to look like Nexus
Good Battery Life
More 'Future Proof'
Expandable Storage (MicroSD)

Nexus 7

PROs------------------------------------ CONs

Larger screen nicer for gaming------------ No data
Inexpensive ($250)----------------------- Lower Benchmark than S3
Android 4.1 Jellybean
Still Solid Performing Device

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, the GNex and S3 are true 720p, so they can use the whole screen when outputted via HDMI.

Overall, I feel that the S3 is the do it all device, and will be able to play my games much more smoothly than the GNex. I can also make its UI look like ICS, and flash 4.1 in the future.

The GNex is the much nicer looking device, has the better OS, but seems to lag slightly in certain areas which is a bummer.

The Nexus 7 provides me with my gaming and web browsing experience, but lacks data, and is not something you can take with you as easily as you could take a phone.

So what seem to be your thoughts? I have the worst decision making skills, and have been looking at this stuff almost everyday this past month.

Thank you!

I was planning on getting the Incredible 4G (I'm a fan a HTC and don't really need a super screen phone). I still have my original Droid Incredible. Verizon is taking to long to release it (rumored July 5th). The Galaxy S3 will be out soon and that's a good deal as well. IMO it'll probably be the best phone on Vz's network. I don't own a tablet and now that the Nexus 7 is coming out I'm leaning more towards that.
I'll probably get the Nexus 7, at least that way I'll have a tablet and a phone (even if my phone is dated). Than just having a new phone and No tablet.

Upvote 0
Lol, the S3 has a "ugly design" & "ugly stock UI", so these must be cons? You are wrong. It's only a matter of preference. Opinions don't equal facts and you're supposed to base on facts when determining whether or not a certain thing is a con.

Gee. Who is asking this question? ....Oh wait. I AM! They are cons for me as I don't like the design. If you are comparing two devices, the look is definitely subjective, but it will either be a pro or con which will influence one's preference towards a certain phone.

Also, if that's what you are saying, why didn't you chirp at the fact that I called the GNEX the slickest looking device? That is clearly opinion based.

Upvote 0
I'm in a similar situation, had almost decided to get rid of my old sgs and get the sgs3 but then the nexus 7 stepped in along with CM9 on the sgs.

My 2 cents;

The nexus is an old phone with ok hardware and I'd go for the SGS3;
I do not regret paying for my sgs when it came out as the top of the range phone especially seining as it still runs the latest OS relatively well.

The main reason I would be considering the nexus 7 is that I'd still have my sgs for phone and 3G, thus offering wifi hotspot to the nexus 7 when on the go. My major issues with the n7 are;
no expandable storage,
no HDMI,
Screen bevel makes it bigger than it needs to be,
windows 8 tablets on the horizon - better for business

I'm going to make a raft of assumptions that you are a business man who like to play the odd FPS/car racing or similar games (a cut above angry birds).
On that basis i'd be saying look at a cheap galaxy s derivative (y, ace .....) and get the nexus 7 that way you get the best of all worlds; i have video out on my sgs but only used it once when i got it. Widi or similar OTA based solution should replace hdmi for phones and tablets in the next while.

Upvote 0
Any post containing the words "lol" and/or "you are wrong" in response to another member's opinion are on a hiding to nothing. ;)

The OP has gone to the trouble of listing the plus and minus points for each device as he sees them; offering counter-arguments is fine but please do so constructively and politely. The aim of the .... Comparisons section is to provide help, not provoke war.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
I'm in a similar situation, had almost decided to get rid of my old sgs and get the sgs3 but then the nexus 7 stepped in along with CM9 on the sgs.

My 2 cents;

The nexus is an old phone with ok hardware and I'd go for the SGS3;
I do not regret paying for my sgs when it came out as the top of the range phone especially seining as it still runs the latest OS relatively well.

The main reason I would be considering the nexus 7 is that I'd still have my sgs for phone and 3G, thus offering wifi hotspot to the nexus 7 when on the go. My major issues with the n7 are;
no expandable storage,
no HDMI,
Screen bevel makes it bigger than it needs to be,
windows 8 tablets on the horizon - better for business

I'm going to make a raft of assumptions that you are a business man who like to play the odd FPS/car racing or similar games (a cut above angry birds).
On that basis i'd be saying look at a cheap galaxy s derivative (y, ace .....) and get the nexus 7 that way you get the best of all worlds; i have video out on my sgs but only used it once when i got it. Widi or similar OTA based solution should replace hdmi for phones and tablets in the next while.

Thank you very much! Also, quite the opposite really :p

Just a high schooler looking for a new device. These days that I have been waiting for replies, I have concluded that my decision is now only between the GNex and the S3. I feel like I am leaning more towards the S3. Like some have said, the S3 is the do it all device. Also, it will be more 'future proof' and will not get as 'outdated' as these other devices.

If I were a business man, I would not have all this free time to invest in researching a new device :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones