• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help galaxy player 3.6 GPS issues

brosko

Android Enthusiast
Feb 25, 2012
i have a sgp 3.6 and it seems to take forever to get a gps lock if it locks at all. even outside! i have been able to get it lock by putting it on top of my microwave as funny as that sounds. i put it up there and 5 minutes later it is locked. other than that it just wont lock on to a gps signal. i have 2 sgp 5's and 2 4's all of which lock on within seconds inside or outside. it seems to me that the 3.6 has an inferior gps antenna (that isn't the only thing inferior on it) compared to the 4 and 5. anyone else have the 3.6 and noticed this as well? any ideas, suggestions? thanks

The 4's are my sons and wifes (not technically mine but i have full acecss to them) I purchased my first five in january of 2012 and just recently purchased a refurbished 5 as a backup. I decided to get a refurbed 3.6 along with it to have something more portable. I know the 5 is decently portable but the 3.6 it defintely noticeably easier to carry around in your pocket. I guess you could say I am just an sgp fiend.

Upvote 0
The app "gps fix" helps alot. It helps it get its lock. I have determined that the 3.6 just has an inferior antenna when compared to the other players. After 5 minutes or more with nice weather it usually gets a lock. Sometimes moving around slowly when its trying to geg a lock helos it "find" satelites.

Upvote 0
That's good. I always found the 5 to have the best GPS between it, the 4 and the 3.6. I have never tried GPS on thr 4.2.

Overall both the 5 and 4 had better specs then the cheaper 3.6 and 4.2. Better camera, better screen clarity and color reproduction. The 3.6 screen made my eyes hurt. It had the lowest resolution of them all. So it makes sense that the gps antenna strength is weak.

Upvote 0
Overall both the 5 and 4 had better specs then the cheaper 3.6 and 4.2. Better camera, better screen clarity and color reproduction. The 3.6 screen made my eyes hurt. It had the lowest resolution of them all. So it makes sense that the gps antenna strength is weak.

Yup, that's exactly the way I always looked at it. Nothing about the 3.6 seems up to par really.

I always felt it was like this: 5 has the the flash, bigger screen 4 has best screen and speakers, 4,2 I dont know much about, and 3.6 has nothing.

Upvote 0
Yup, that's exactly the way I always looked at it. Nothing about the 3.6 seems up to par really.

I always felt it was like this: 5 has the the flash, bigger screen 4 has best screen and speakers, 4,2 I dont know much about, and 3.6 has nothing.

Exactly. The 4.2 is like in between them. Nothing special except the front facing stereo speakers. That's the reason why I chose it over the 4. I still love it though.

Upvote 0
Me, I haven't used any of my sgp's in months honestly, since I got my galaxy tab 3 8.0 and nexus 7 2013. They still have a place in my heart however so to speak as the sgp 5 was my first "smart" device. :)

Same with me. The 3.6 was my first Android device. Media players like the ipod and galaxy players are at the end of their lifespan. In other words they are obsolete and no longer needed. Smart phones have taken their place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones