• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S2 to HTC One X+??

Puddin422

Android Expert
Jun 17, 2010
I'm on my second galaxy phone. Had the Sprint Epic and now AT&T GS2. I'm annoyed with Samsung's bugs. Ready to try something new. Just a couple concerns.

One is that I usually follow a phone of interest for months before release. This time, I really have no idea what's out there, the good, the bad, the ugly, etc. So I feel like this is an impulse purchase, and that scares me.

Two, I'm used to carrying a spare battery since I am a heavy user. Is battery life really as good as they advertise it to be?

Lastly, what are the cons of not having a micro sd slot? I currently have 16gb internal and 32gb sd. So I am pretty comfortable with having 64gb, but what if your phone is destroyed or something else happens to where you can't get in there and retrieve all your stuff??

Hey, there.
Thanks for posting your question. The One X+ is a great phone, and I love it. But if you're a person who waits & follows a phone of interest for a bit, then you can probably appreciate that the entire mobile industry is at the cusp of tremendous change right at this moment. MWC (Mobile World Congress) is literally just around the corner (Feb 25-28), and a number of new phones are going to be unveiled there. As much as I love the One X+, and would heartily recommend it, it may actually be more prudent to wait & see what comes out in the next few weeks. HTC is supposed to launch a new flagship phone, the M7 (...as it is named at the moment. God only knows what it'll be called once it actually hits the shelves), perhaps as soon as 10 days from now: 4.7-inch 1080p screen, 2Gb RAM, Android Jelly Bean, an updated version of Sense... That might be worth waiting for. Sony introduced their XPeria Z at CES back in January: 5-inch 1080p screen, 2Gb RAM, Jelly Bean, etc... And of course, there's the Samsung Galaxy S IV (which will likely NOT be launched at MWC. They set up an event all its own for that one), which will probably be a few more months before it comes out (...but it's probably gonna rock the industry when it does). If it were November 2012 right now, I'd tell you to go for the One X+. But given that we're SO close to the release of some new flagship phones, I think the better advice would be to tell you to wait just a little bit longer.

Oh, and to answer your questions, HTC tends to be moving away from removable batteries & expandable storage in their flagship phones. In terms of safeguarding your data, I would advise you to leverage the cloud: Dropbox, Google+, Flickr, Picasa, Google Drive, Google Contacts, etc. That's the best way to ensure that if anything terrible should happen to your phone, you don't end up losing everything. Battery life depends on what type of user you are. If you play a lot of games on your phone, and don't use the Power Saver mode, then you probably can't count on getting a full day's charge out of it. If you're more conservative (like me), you'll easily get a full day out of it. In general, though, the perception is that the batteries in their devices, though often the same capacity as the competition's batteries, tend to fall a little bit short. I actually get better battery life from my One X+ than I ever did on my Galaxy S III, but others have reported otherwise. In any case, wait to see what HTC & all the other companies unveil at MWC, and THEN make a decision. There's bound to be some cool devices coming out.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Puddin422
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, I cannot wait. My phone is on the fritz. It started early this week, and I thought flashing a very stable rom would fix it. Made it worse! (and yes, I did it all correctly..not my first rodeo..lol)

Also, both of these Galaxy phones were purchased on release date. I'm never doing that again. Both times I ended up with very buggy phones.

But I might just get another S2 on the cheap until something better comes along. I just wish they would chill out with the screen sizes. Some of us are very petite. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones