• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 backup ?

Hi all !

First, yeah, I did search ;-) But I just can't find the info :)

Ok, brand new Galaxy S3, was on the Iphone from the first one out. The S3 is just amazing IMO.

Now, Transferring the files from the Iphone to my S3 was pretty easy.

But i want to backup my S3 to my Google account and it does not work. I did click on the sync button on my phone and it's linked to my Google account. When i go in the account itself, i cant find anything, no files, no phone book contact, nothing.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

Martin

1. How did you move the data from iPhone to Android? If you used Kies, it will save it to the "My Contacts" section of your phone, which does not sync to Google. You will need to transfer the contacts to the Google section on your phone. Kies is primarily designed for people who don't want to sync to Google at all.

2. Google backs up contacts, pictures, calendar. It does not backup your application files or the contents of your mass storage. You have to use something else like Dropbox or Sugarsync.

3. Your apps may be backed up using various apps like App Monster, but I personally prefer to just redownloading them.

Upvote 0
Let me explain this a little bit more simply.

Your phone has 3 storage sections for contacts: SIM, Google Contacts, and My Contacts. Your contacts was probably mistakenly saved into "My Contacts" instead of Google Contacts. You need to have it on Google for it to sync.

What you do is to transfer them to Google. Go to Contacts>Menu button>Export/Import>Export to SD card. At this point you have created a backup file on your mass storage section of your contacts. You can now proceed to either delete the contacts from your phone or hide them. You again go to Menu button>Export/Import>Import to Google (it should either say Google or your gmail address). When you're done importing, it's finished. You can wait for it to complete uploading to your Google Account under Google Contacts website.

One thing of note is that if you did not delete the old contacts in the "My Contacts" storage, it will cause a double tab when you open contacts for editing, one tab for Google and one tab for "My Contacts". Remember that editing under the "My Contacts" tab will not update Google Contacts.

As for pictures, you need to have either Google+ installed or an active Picasa account. Your pictures will be saved to either depending on which you prefer. I prefer actually to use Sugarsync, since I set it up to upload a picture right after I have taken it and send it to the Mobile Photos folder in my laptop (this was actually the service iCloud copied, LOL).

Reactions: ScoobyWRX
Upvote 0
the "allow google to backup this phone" tick box in the setup wizard will save certain aspects of your config to google, so when you factory reset, it will download all your play apps, set your wallpaper and ringtones back etc

i backup my s3 to my NAS or network computer using foldersync. i set it to backup my sdcard overnight so all my pictures and downloads are backed up. i also backup photos with dropbox.

sms backup+ backs up my sms to a gmail label too. i never lose anything any more

Upvote 0
Let me explain this a little bit more simply.

Your phone has 3 storage sections for contacts: SIM, Google Contacts, and My Contacts. Your contacts was probably mistakenly saved into "My Contacts" instead of Google Contacts. You need to have it on Google for it to sync.

What you do is to transfer them to Google. Go to Contacts>Menu button>Export/Import>Export to SD card. At this point you have created a backup file on your mass storage section of your contacts. You can now proceed to either delete the contacts from your phone or hide them. You again go to Menu button>Export/Import>Import to Google (it should either say Google or your gmail address). When you're done importing, it's finished. You can wait for it to complete uploading to your Google Account under Google Contacts website.

One thing of note is that if you did not delete the old contacts in the "My Contacts" storage, it will cause a double tab when you open contacts for editing, one tab for Google and one tab for "My Contacts". Remember that editing under the "My Contacts" tab will not update Google Contacts.

Thanks for explaining it in simpleton terms (perfect for me :() my contacts always showed up in my Google account, the wife's contacts on the other hand.......

Upvote 0
You can now proceed to either delete the contacts from your phone or hide them. You again go to Menu button>Export/Import>Import to Google (it should either say Google or your gmail address). When you're done importing, it's finished. You can wait for it to complete uploading to your Google Account under Google Contacts website.

I don't have Import to google.. or I just understand lol

You have to send it to google first no ?

*EDIT* Never mind, got it !! Thanks

Screenshot_2012-11-18-08-36-44.png

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones