• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S3 Charging Issues

eram70

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Hello everyone,
I bought my Sprint Galaxy S3 in November of 2012 and it has worked flawlessly until now. It is running Stock with the Jelly Bean update with Nova Launcher on top. What is happening is that the device rarely detects the charger. When I connect the USB cable into the phone, it either doesn't detect or is detected but when I use it and move it around, it does not detect. :mad::mad::mad: It takes a lot of fiddling around to get a good charge out of it. I usually try charging it when the device is completely off and if I move it, it will stop charging, really pissing me off. I am using the stock cable and wall connector but I have tried a blackberry wire and an apple wall connector as well as to use different wall outlets. All of the pins inside of the phone and the cable look fine and unbent but I don't really know what to look for so im not 100% about that though. What should I do and will Sprint let me exchange the phone for another GS3?

Sounds like its a physical problem with the phone man. I dont know if your carrier or samsung would fix it for free.. they could just say you must have tripped over the cable when it was plugged in and damaged either the micro usb socket or the soldering connecting it or something. I doubt it would be a very expensive repair to pay for though. Only other thing i can think of is if theres a charger available that you put the battery into to charge :thumbup:

Upvote 0
Sounds like its a physical problem with the phone man. I dont know if your carrier or samsung would fix it for free.. they could just say you must have tripped over the cable when it was plugged in and damaged either the micro usb socket or the soldering connecting it or something. I doubt it would be a very expensive repair to pay for though. Only other thing i can think of is if theres a charger available that you put the battery into to charge :thumbup:

I would totally send it in under warranty- sounds like a faulty USB port & as long as there is no obvious damage in or around the port, I don't see how they could say that you were at fault.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,
I bought my Sprint Galaxy S3 in November of 2012 and it has worked flawlessly until now. It is running Stock with the Jelly Bean update with Nova Launcher on top. What is happening is that the device rarely detects the charger. When I connect the USB cable into the phone, it either doesn't detect or is detected but when I use it and move it around, it does not detect. :mad::mad::mad: It takes a lot of fiddling around to get a good charge out of it. I usually try charging it when the device is completely off and if I move it, it will stop charging, really pissing me off. I am using the stock cable and wall connector but I have tried a blackberry wire and an apple wall connector as well as to use different wall outlets. All of the pins inside of the phone and the cable look fine and unbent but I don't really know what to look for so im not 100% about that though. What should I do and will Sprint let me exchange the phone for another GS3?
Hi,
I also have a Galaxy s3 from Sprint and have been having problems charging ...just started a couple of days ago. I found an old LG charger and it's been working ok so far...I'm gonna try this for a few days and see what happens. ..if I have trouble again I'm calling Sprint. They should give you a new phone because I had an LG optimus S that I had trouble with before and they gave me a brand new one...so we'll see what happens.

Upvote 0
mine has developed a charging issue. when plugged in my car/xbox/laptop the battery drains % rather than increases. when i plug it in the mains adaptor using the usb cable it charges very slow if i dont use the phone. if i use my mums s2 charger(the type that dosnt separate into a usb and adaptor) it charges ok if i keep the cable in a certain position. i took it for repair and it came back saying they had repaired a motherboard issue. was ok for the first day now its back the with the same issues. i told them it was the port that was faulty but they said not. now the charger is very loose when plugged in. what could they of possibly repaired on the board? iv even opened the phone and nothing looks like it been touched!

sorry to hijack a thread but i thought it was better than starting a new one with the same problems.
many thanks

Upvote 0
Had a similar problem with my AT&T S3 during the first year (warranty). After a futile attempt to fix the problem, which involved AT&T reflashing the phone, and trying two new chargers and two new cords, they finally exchanged it for another phone. So far, so good.

My symptoms led me to believe the problem was a combination of an intermittent port plus a problem with the charging circuit in the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones