• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy S4 power button screen lock issues

Hi Everyone

I have a peculiar problem on my Galaxy S4 phone, and I seem to be unable to find anything related to this on the internet.

My problem is as follows. At some point after I rebooted my Galaxy S4 my power button stops partially functioning.

Normally when I "tap" my power button and the phone was unlocked it would screen lock the phone and the screen would go blank. Or of course if I kept the power button in, I would get the screen asking for a reboot, shutdown, flightmode etc. However, a while after my phone has booted up, this stops working. The power button will not do any of the above mentioned actions. If I keep the power button in long enough the phone simply reboots. Also the screen capture functionality (pressing power + home simultaneously) also ceases to work.

I have one of those cell phone covers that displays the date and time on the phone screen the moment you close the flap through a see through plastic window. When you open this cover the phone automatically unlocks. I have had this for quite a while so I cannot see that this is the problem. But when this cover is closed and the see through plastic window is black (screen off) and I press the power button it does show me the date and time as expected, as it has always done.

Now I have not updated the phone software recently, nor installed any new apps, nor changed any settings on the phone. I only updated the existing apps on the phone that was already installed.

So my findings are as follows. The power button does seem to work normally until shortly after a bootup (including screen capture), then the reboot menu and screen capture functionality ceases to work. Could it be an application that interferes with my power button that only starts affecting it after the application has loaded (e.g. as a service)?

Is there any way to debug this without removing all applications from my phone and re-installing them one by one again?

I have also wondered if it could be caused due to too many files on my external memory card (in my gallery), but after removal of the files and reformat of the memory card, while leaving the card empty the same behaviour reoccurs.

I have also noticed that the Applications shows 54.42 GB (as an example). I was able to determine that this is due to my gallery thumbnails that it reports this number as incorrect.

I have had the phone now for almost 2 years. Could it be something to do with the battery that needs to be replaced perhaps?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Oh yes, my phone is not rooted and the specs are as follows:

Model Samsung Galaxy S4 - GT-I9500
Android Version: 4.2.2
Baseband version: I9500XXUAMDK
Kernel version: 3.4.5-526212 se.infra@SEP-111 #1 Tue Apr 23 23:00:57 KST 2013
Build number: JDQ39.I9500XXUAMDK
SELinux Status: Permissive
32GB external SD card with 5.53 GB storage available

Paul

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones