• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Galaxy s4- won't turn on; no vibrations no splash screen (full details

Desrving

Lurker
Apr 30, 2016
phone randomly turned off at around 7pm and as I am typing this its 10 am the next day and i still can't find any solutions on how to fix this.

I've tried:
-Swapping the batteries ( i have an extra one incase my power bank rans out )
-Charging it for an hour in different outlets each ( power bank, car charger, home outlets )
-Connecting it to my macbook to see if the Android File Transfer will work ( it doesn't, still says that there are no android device found )
-Checking to see if the power button is stuck ( I found a post where you have to tap it to a table or on a flat surface; doesn't work )
-Holding the power button, volume key, and the home button simultaneously ( no effect )
-Removing the batter and putting it back on ( when i place it back in my phone vibrates and show the splash screen but then turns off after )
-Safe mode ( tried holding the power button and the volume key; doesn't work )
-Soft Reset ( the one where you remove the battery then hold the power button for a minute and put it back on and try it again; doesn't work )
-Removing the SD card and putting it back in

I noticed that after a few minutes of plugging my phone to my charger that will be the time it turns off. I don't know if its the cable or something. When I was in China, I plugged my phone to the dorm outlet and after a few minutes it turned off and after some long minutes it finally turned back on.

While I was in the mall earlier, I plugged my phone using the power bank and the same thing happened; after a few minutes it died.

I use only one cable for everything; house outlet, power bank, and for the car.

Right now my phone is plugged into the house outlet and I tried turning it on again and nothing happens.

Please help, I'm scared that the only option would be taking it to a technician and them telling me that it wont get fix or that we need a factory reset cause all of my important files are there including my recent trip abroad and its on a separate folder so its not saved on the SD card.

It's possible that the charging circuit IN the phone (between the cable and the battery) is bad. That's definitely a technician or factory level fix. Did you have Google Photos installed, or some other photo backup utility? I'm really not sure how they'll be able to fix this without doing a full factory reset... which will, of course, wipe your device. :(

Upvote 0
when you were in China, did you have the proper power charger? you did not plug a 110V charger into a 220V wall plug?

Do you have a way to charge a battery that is NOT in the phone?
That will give you a test for the phone having issues unrelated to dead batteries.

If a good fully charged battery will not revive the phone, you most likely will have to give it to a technician....
even if that finally means FDR.

lesson for tomorrow, never, ever, put anything important on the internal phone storage.
always back it up to the SD card, make the SD card the Default storage, and/or use the cloud as a backup.

If my phone dies today, my only real loss, will be reinstalling all of the apps. Anything important is on the SD card or on my PC.

Upvote 0
It's possible that the charging circuit IN the phone (between the cable and the battery) is bad. That's definitely a technician or factory level fix. Did you have Google Photos installed, or some other photo backup utility? I'm really not sure how they'll be able to fix this without doing a full factory reset... which will, of course, wipe your device. :(

I don't think I have those backup stuff, since I don't really download that much apps.

Upvote 0
when you were in China, did you have the proper power charger? you did not plug a 110V charger into a 220V wall plug?

Do you have a way to charge a battery that is NOT in the phone?
That will give you a test for the phone having issues unrelated to dead batteries.

If a good fully charged battery will not revive the phone, you most likely will have to give it to a technician....
even if that finally means FDR.

lesson for tomorrow, never, ever, put anything important on the internal phone storage.
always back it up to the SD card, make the SD card the Default storage, and/or use the cloud as a backup.

If my phone dies today, my only real loss, will be reinstalling all of the apps. Anything important is on the SD card or on my PC.
Oh, I don't know anything bout those power charges.

I don't have those charging batteries thingy. Both of my batteries are always fully charge cause whenever one of them is charged I swapped it with the other one so the it can also charge.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones