• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S8 Hotspot band problem

Taara

Lurker
Nov 7, 2019
Hello,

I have Galaxy S8, SM-6950F

The problem is I cannot change the mobile hotspot band from 2.4GHZ to 5GHZ, because the band setting simply doesn't exist under hotspot, although this should be available for the S8. Now I have googled this issue a bit and found other people with the same problem, but I have yet to find a solution or a final answer if anything can or cannot be done to fix this.

In the hotspot settings, where there should be a possibility to change the settings, the only thing I can change is network name, WPA, password and PMF.
It's really frustrating since one of the main things I use my phone for is hosting hotspot for my laptop.
Some pople were saying it's a regional thing, this phone was bought in Estonia, no idea where it originally came from.
If anyone has an idea how to get access to 5Ghz I would be forever thankful. Or even confirm that it cannot be done, that would help aswell

Thank you!

Last edited:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones