• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy Tab Tips and Tricks

I can't find a hints and tips page for the Galaxy Tab so, er, starting one here if that's OK.

Only one tip so far:

Go to Menu > Display Settings > Power Save Mode and uncheck this to make white things on the screen white, not yellow.

With Power Save Mode enabled, there seems to be a yellow hue to everything. I don't like that as I'm used to the saturation from an AMOLED on my Desire.

1. If you want full web view, download Sky Fire web browser. It allows full web view instead of mobile.

2. If you want Engadget App to show full screen as well as others that do not scale properly, download Spare Parts from the market. Install and then open the app. Go to Compatibility mode and uncheck and re-check. Then re-boot. After that go back to Compatibility View and uncheck. Then re-boot. when it comes back up, you can open spare parts again and you will notice that it is running full screen. Open Engadget App and it will also run full screen now.

Courtesy of JKK Mobile.

Upvote 0
I was looking for some email settings and can't seem to find them. Does anyone know where you can set the amout of email downloaded as in days? How about how many emails are in the Inbox... it appears they only show unread but not total count. Another email App would defeat the custom made App with the reading pane.

Upvote 0
found by chance, if watching videos press power button and locks the screen, ie if in landscape view it stops that way, hot keys and touchscreen locked as well

why is this any good, well if you have young ones watching vids they love to touch, move it around and you spend more time resetting than they do watching, this way you can leave them to it and pretty sure they wont be buying online, deleting files etc by mistake :):):)

small market appeal but thought worth posting :D

Upvote 0
found by chance, if watching videos press power button and locks the screen, ie if in landscape view it stops that way, hot keys and touchscreen locked as well

why is this any good, well if you have young ones watching vids they love to touch, move it around and you spend more time resetting than they do watching, this way you can leave them to it and pretty sure they wont be buying online, deleting files etc by mistake :):):)

Thats a god tip for everyone IMO just holding the things you will touch the sides. I wish the lock icon would go away.

Upvote 0

You can also lock the screen when in video recording mode. This disables all the touch button on your device to prevent from accidental touches.

BTW, kids these days... they are smarter than their parents. :O

Reactions: urbanhopper
Upvote 0
Just found something neat with the email app. If you are in Landscape or Portrait, go to the inbox and pinch your fingers together like you are trying to shrink the page. The list of emails in your inbox will go to day view allowing you to see how many emails you have by each day. really usefull if you have a large inbox full of emails. You can also pinch and zoom the reading pane in Lanscape.

Upvote 0
If you have rooted your Tab, there is a nice app in the market under reboot widget. It gives you one touch reboot and you wont have to hit the power button to get the device to reboot. Just add the widget to your homescreen and leave box checked for allow Superuser. To have one click root just download 4root in the market and activate usb debugging first before you click on 4root app. You can unroot using the same app but you need to remain rooted for root only apps to work.

Edit. . . As Beards mentioned below, its z4root not 4root. Thanks Beards.

Upvote 0
If you have rooted your Tab, there is a nice app in the market under reboot widget. It gives you one touch reboot and you wont have to hit the power button to get the device to reboot. Just add the widget to your homescreen and leave box checked for allow Superuser. To have one click root just download 4root in the market and activate usb debugging first before you click on 4root app. You can unroot using the same app but you need to remain rooted for root only apps to work.
4root..... I think you mean z4root.

Reactions: Tech Addiction
Upvote 0
I just noticed this old thread, started prior to our creation of the sub-forums for Galaxy Tab, including the Tips and Tricks sub-forum where I've moved this to.

I'd like to encourage users with a tip for the Galaxy Tab to post it in a separate thread of your own in this sub-forum, though.

Also, be sure to post any issues you're having, or questions about the Galaxy Tab in the Support and Troubleshooting sub-forum: Galaxy Tab - Support and Troubleshooting - Android Forums rather than in this Tips and Tricks sub-forum. ;)

Upvote 0
I will update all in this topic.

First need to learn:

List of all Samsung Galaxy Tab Icons meaning

Status icons
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Icons.jpg
Samsung Galaxy Tab Icons

Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Icons-1.jpg
Samsung Galaxy Tab Icons

Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Icons-2.jpg
Samsung Galaxy Tab Icons

Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-Icons-3.jpg
Samsung Galaxy Tab Icons

Upvote 0
How to select a network for Samsung Galaxy Tab

Instructions:

• From the Home screen, tap the Menu key and then select Settings.
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-settings.jpg
Samsung Galaxy Tab settings

• Tap Wireless & Networks.
  • Tap Mobile Networks.
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-mobile-networks.png
Samsung Galaxy Tab mobile networks

• Verify data roaming is enabled, and then tap Network Operators.
  • The option to Search Networks will appear while roaming outside of the AT&T wireless network. Tap Search Networks.
    NOTE: Tap to choose desired network from list of networks found, tap OK.
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-select-network.png
Samsung Galaxy Tab select network

• Tap the desired network, and then select OK.

Upvote 0
How to save a contact for Samsung Galaxy Tab

Instructions:

• Step 1: From the Home screen, tap the Applications icon.
  • Step 2: Tap Contacts.
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-contacts.png
Samsung Galaxy Tab contacts

• Step 3: Tap the Create Contact icon.
  • Step 4: Enter contact information into all the desired fields, and then tap Done when complete.
    NOTE: To add additional fields, tap the plus sign (+). To remove a field, tap minus sign (-).
Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-save-contacts.png
Samsung Galaxy Tab save contacts

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones