• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gameloft does not distribute to AT&T captivate owners?

nicracine

Nov 29, 2009
Hello everybody,

I would like to check something with you. I wanted to get the free Dungeon Hunter from the Gameloft event, and could not for some reason, so I contacted Gameloft support and Here is the answer I received.

Thank you for contacting Gameloft Customer Support. Unfortunately we cannot distribute our games on the Captivate on our own Gameloft shop due to some AT&T restriction. We are very sorry about that and hope that it will change in the near future.

Please do not try downloading games which are not for your specific phone model. Each game is built for one particular device. If the device is not in the list of supported devices, it is no use trying to get another build. It will not work and it is not meant to work.

We apologize for this inconvenience.

Kind regards,

So I answered back that I am Canadian, and my Captivate comes from Rogers, so this [stupid] restriction should not apply. (which is true). I am now awaiting an answer.

So my question is this: Has anybody ever heard about that before? Also, How come Gameloft does not know that there are legitimate distributors of Samsung Captivate besides AT&T?

This is extremely frustrating.

Nicolas Racine

Should you want to download a gameloft game, you can always select that your phone is the T595 (or whatever the T-Mobile Vibrant model is). Then when they send you the link to download and it says your model is not supported, there is a link on the page that allows you to change models and again choose the T-Mobile Vibrant. Once you download the apk, you can side-load it through your method of choice.

Upvote 0
While I agree with sremick, I have to say, I'm enjoying Dungeon Hunter. :) On the download (I got it on the free day) I just switched my model. I can't remember offhand, I picked one of the other US Galaxy S models (possibly Fascinate)

I have noticed on two occasions it has frozen on me in the middle of clearing a dungeon area. I'm guessing that's just a game glitch.

Upvote 0
Just to update everybody on my emails, here is the answer I received when I told them I did not have an AT&T Captivate.

I'm afraid we have about the same problem with Rogers Captivate as well. I mean there is no restriction at Rogers as it is but we do not have games for the captivate on some reason. Anyway, it's not going to be like for ever and we will settle this problem and let all captivate users enjoy our smashing HD+ games on their device.

So I guess that I will just say Screw You Gameloft, and unfollow them from my Tweeter account.

This is totally ridiculous. Why would the game work for the Vibrant or the Fascinate and not the Captivate? They're essentially the same phone. with a few cosmetic differences.

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0
Basically they don't want to support it because of the restrictions ATT places on installing apps not in market (which not all of these are) so Instead of telling people how to get it onto their Captivate (which may ruin some sort of agreement they have with ATT) or having to support it when something goes wrong, they chose just not to support the devices at all.

Of course there is a work around and we all can sideload via the Sideloading wonder machine from ANdroid Central.

The work around was given by Gameloft's twitter account over the weekend.

Upvote 0
The worst part is that they would avoid all this mess if they used the Android Market. Sideloading would not even be an issue.

in Canada, Sideloading is not even blocked, so it should not affect us. Once again the Mighty AT&T farts and everybody gets caught in the fumes.

Never again Gameloft.

Nicolas Racine

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones