• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gapless music player for folder-based library

CSMR

Jul 30, 2013
Looking for a music player that is good for playing music organized in folders. Needs to have gapless support.

Preferably with a clean classical interface.

Rockbox for portable devices and mediaportal for HTPCs are good examples.

This is for playing a large classical collection. (So the terms "song", "artist", "album" used to organize music in many modern apps are not appropriate.)

Thanks!

That sounds like a tough order to fill.

You may want to look into file managers with built-in music players. I think you'll find more that handle folders the way you want than you find in regular standalone players...though you'll probably have trouble finding one that is gapless. I'm a fan of ES File Explorer but I can't say if it handles folders your way when playing music or if it plays gapless.

Unless you find something made for classical I don't imagine you'll find much selection of apps not using the artist/album/song scheme.

Upvote 0
I just looked up the definition of "gapless playback" and ran a test on MixZing with the second half of The Beatles Abbey Road (which has gapless transitions through most songs). MixZing plays the songs ALMOST perfectly gaplessly whether I play them from the Abbey Road folder or from the Abbey Road album. By "almost" I mean that there is no pause between songs but there is one small click in the transitions. I can easily live with that. Not sure if the OP can.

Upvote 0
I did some searching and testing myself.

PlayerPro: Has gapless playback with the codec plugin. Allows for folder browsing although calls all files "songs".

ArmAmp: has both. Basic interface, not the most polished or efficient, but usable. Occasional minor glitches in audio presumably caused by android itself. This is the one I've chosen for now.

Shuttle: folder browsing not present but listed as upcoming.

Euphony and PowerAmp: Reduce folder hierarchy to first level so not suited to folder organization.

Reactions: divinebovine
Upvote 0
Euphony and PowerAmp: Reduce folder hierarchy to first level so not suited to folder organization.

I am looking for similar functionality in a player and have found that there is an option in PowerAmp that tells it to not flatten the folders but to show the proper hierarchy instead.

When you're in the 'Folder' view on Poweramp, press menu > list options > Hierarchy.

Also I recommend the Jelly Bean theme. It looks much better than default.

Reactions: CSMR
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones