• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gas Price Search

RawlingsSc

Android Expert
Apr 8, 2010
Utah
OK, I'm still new to Android and am coming from Windows Mobile. I had Windows Live Search, which allowed me to search for local gas prices, movies, restaurants, etc. It wasn't perfect, but did a pretty good job of it. I'd like something similar for my incredible, but I'm not finding much. Searching the market gave me two options, but they were pretty poorly rated. I searched the forums here and didn't find anything. So, does anybody have an app they use (or even a web site) for searches like this?

Thanks in advance.

My biggest problem with the apps that are currently available is that the data is often DAYS old, but the age of the data varies by station. Unless prices are very stable, the varying age of the data makes comparing prices difficult. I find it hard to believe that any part of the collection process is manually performed, so I really don't understand why the data should be any more than a few hours old.

Second, when gas prices shot up several years ago, many stations began offering different prices for cash and credit payment methods. None of the apps I've seen differentiate between the two. If you're paying with credit, this can leave you at a station where the price you'll pay is higher than that listed in the app. If you're paying with cash this can mean that the station down the road that looked more expensive in the app is actually cheaper.

One thing that Google could offer with regard to gas pricing that the others can't is to list prices along your route. The lowest price along your route may be very different than the lowest price nearby. My TomTom does this, but suffers from the other issues above.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones