1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gemini Calendar - my vision of calendar software

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by powell, Mar 17, 2010.

1. dvhttn

dvhttn Android Expert

Oct 17, 2010
    I wish ....
    Sunny Cornwall
    Choose to set an event for the first day in the sequence - then choose the 'repeats every X weeks on (day you chose)'. You then get the option to set 'X' - the number of weeks between events.

HTH.

Dave

Advertisement

2. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    I am aware of that, it is on my to-do list.

Widgets (three of them) should be available after you long press your home screen. Do you have any custom app launcher, like ADW? Does anybody else have problems with finding Gemini widgets ?

Agenda View, Week View are coming in the future.

:D LOL, proverb for the developer: "Whatever you do, you will NEVER meet the user's requirements". Just kidding.
    The Cancel only in Menu (it is already there) would solve your problem. Perhaps I will add the preference settings for this ("Show cancel button - yes/no").

Yes, I did some attempts to implement this feature, but there was always something more important to do. I would personally use this very often, so I agree, it would be nice.

Interesting, I will think about this.

It is also coming.

As for the alarms - I have some problems with this feature, mainly because of the differences between the alarm implementation in different makes of phones. Samsung for example seems to have it implemented in its own way, on some devices it is not possible to turn off the reminders of the stock calendar, there are some other problems, that need to be considered. I am working on it.

By the way: I assume, that some of you, taking part in this thread, have not checked your private message boxes. I sent to some of you PM's and never got answers.

28064212 likes this.
  3. lalea1860

lalea1860 Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Can you set an audible alarm on gemini calendar?

4. lalea1860

lalea1860 Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    I can set events on my google calendar, no option for setting an alrm. I depend on my calendar and missed an important appt yesterday!

any help.? I have no data so cant use the market I guess

5. lalea1860

lalea1860 Newbie
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    one more ?
    Is there a way to program my ally to pick up data from page plus. I took it to the sop to have it flashed. They were unable to enable data, only picture messaging. Lack of data is making things difficult and having no luck accessing memory card on my ally either.

6. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    Version 1.0.2 uploaded do the market.

New features:
    • Attendees displayed in the event details, with the status of each attendee (accepted, maybe, not accepted),
    • Dutch translation
    • Swedish month names, forgotten in the previous version
    • New date format: DD-MM-YYYY
    • Some graphics alignment fixes

This version does not allow to edit/add attendees.
    ----
    I have reports, that on the ModaCo and CyanogenMod ROMs this version has misaligned graphics - I am working on this, I would appreciate volunteers, who would like to test Gemini on their devices with custom ROM installed. Let me know - send email.
    ----
    And here is the question to the user, who does not see Gemini widgets (@JohnDaddyo) - do you happen to have Gemini moved to the SD card ? This feature (App2SD) theoretically must be allowed by the developer and I have not done this, but I know that on the custom, rooted ROMs, there are tools to force moving application to SD card.

Ambassador Dave likes this.
  7. braj

braj Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 7, 2010
    There finally are more calendars on the market but I have to say Gemini is still my favorite. If you can use any help making skins please let us know. I would love to try and make a skin myself and this feature would be a big way to differentiate Gemini from other apps.

8. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    See the Tips&Tricks section on my site. You can even watch video, explaining how to do this.

9. SNeitzel

SNeitzel Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 11, 2010
    I am running LFY on the original DrOID which I believe is based on cyanogen. I can test whatever you like.

10. 28064212

28064212 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 14, 2009
    Oh believe me, I know, I'm a programmer too (desktop rather than apps though). The problem wasn't the implementation, it was the failure of the user to specify the requirements in the first place :D

Sounds good :)

11. Rob.177870

Rob.177870 Newbie
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    Scotland
    Using version 1.03.

1. Gemini 4x1a Widget

When I tap on the box with the date in, up comes the calendar in month view; when I tap on the list of the next three entries, up comes today's page. Surely those should be the other way round?

Also, in the box with today's date, I see that the month and day are aligned with the Mobile Paprika symbol. This is obviously a personal preference, but they are misaligned with respect to each other and I think it looks odd. Does it look any better if they are centered in the box instead?

2. Sub-text (description) display.

A suggestion. If the "Description" field is empty, can you display the "Location" field in it's place. Or even all the time, with a "..." box which pops up the description, as this might be longer than a few words.

3. Location vs Google Maps.

Do you think adding a button to find the location you enter using Google Maps would be useful? Then from an event, the user could easily find how to get there.

4. Month navigation.

Can you make the date numbers in the months before and after the current month move to that month and select that day? For example, this month, I could tap on the "30" just above "6" and move to December and have the 30th selected. Keep the entries grey, just make them "active".

5. Calendar colours

The choice of colour set seems to be the wrong way round.

I have the "Calendar color" setting unticked, so I would expect the colours used to be from the internal table. When I go to "My Calendars" menu option, I see what I assume is the internal table colours? But those colours do not match. They match if I tick the "Calendar color" option.

Is it possible to change the internal table colours?

6. Unrepeatable display bug.

Sorry, have only seen this once. In the month view, the main text of an entry was cropped short, going to only about halfway across the screen. Maybe a blank field on the other side was obscuring it or something, but I have not been able to repeat this. I'm keeping an eye out for it, though, and thought I'd mention it in case you had an idea about what caused it.

Thanks!

12. TchrMich

TchrMich Lurker
    None

Jan 24, 2011
    First of all, thank you for this app! It is the closest to Palm calendar that I have found. I, too, am having problems editing or deleting an event in the middle of a series. I looked at my events, and everything is set up as PC Sync. Is there a way to change this to sync with Google calendars online? If I can do this I will be happy to register... it is well worth the $. This is the only issue holding me back.
    -Michele

13. RawlingsSc

RawlingsSc Android Expert
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    I found a new thing that I would like to be able to do that I can't.

When I set up a new recurring appointment on, let's say Thursday, of the last week of the month, I would like to be able to choose either the 4th Thursday of each month, or the last Thursday of each month. I can kind of do this online in Google calendar, but it only gives the "last week" option if I am on a 5th week.

Any chance of this working?

Thanks

14. JohnDaddyo

JohnDaddyo Newbie
    None

May 7, 2010
    Does anyone know how to recover/retrieve the "code" to register?

15. jnpocock

jnpocock Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    One feature from the similar App "ThumbCal" on Windows Mobile that I would very much like to see would be the ability to scroll by day, by swipe left/right on the day view ...

... what do you think?

16. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    It is already implemented. Double click on the desired day and you will see the Day View. You can then swipe to the next/previous day.

As for the "last Thursday" thing - I had done some research in the past, trying to figure out, how to code this repetition mode. It does not seem to be possible yet.

BTW: I had a one week vacation and I was out of office for some time. I will try to get back on track now :)

17. jnpocock

jnpocock Lurker
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks, hadn't noticed that, which is useful, but I mean on the main calendar, by swiping left/right on the event list at the top of the screen.

18. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    Oh, I see. Interesting.... maybe I will add such feature.

19. Kr0nos

Kr0nos Newbie
    None

Damn tests hadn't time to follow the recent developments (except what i see through updates)

One question, would it be possible to switch an existing event from Calendar A to B in gemini?
    I often create an event, and notice through the colour in the overview that a (again) put it in the wrong calendar.

Otherwise i don't know anything that i want more from my Calendar App.

I use Gemini for nearly a year know, it was much better than the stock calendar than, but seeing the development is just great - i hope more people will discover it, because i pretty shure they will like and use it

20. jae_63

jae_63 Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 16, 2010

Here is a workaround hack for this problem, but I agree that a clean implementation would be preferable.

http://androidforums.com/applicatio...-vision-calendar-software-11.html#post1731588

21. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Female
    Banker
    Helena, Alabama
    I have noticed that I can set alarms for every calendar but only the main calendar's alarm will sound. Is that correct or just something I have wrong in my settings somewhere?

22. Kr0nos

Kr0nos Newbie
    None

one qurestion about the licence system, since it's not bound to the google account, what will happen if I :
    - buy a new phone ?
    - flash a rom - have to wipe all data ?

23. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    No, this is not a usual way it works, alarm should ring for every calendar that is in your system.

Gemini Calendar licence is bounded to the device (hardware). So you may wipe your data, flash ROM etc. and you will still have the licenced Gemini (you will have to enter the RegCode again, of course).
    Changing the phone to another, however, will require a new Registration Code. This is how it works now.

24. Kr0nos

Kr0nos Newbie
    None

Thanks for clearing this up, that the licence is bound to one phone was pretty clear, but knowing that wiping is no problem is great, thanks

I really can't say anything new about the calander, it is wayyyy better than the stock, it doesn't crash nore has other bugs, the only feature i could need, is changing the calander of an existing event

25. kokiangel

kokiangel Android Expert

Nov 12, 2009
    Female
    Banker
    Helena, Alabama
    Thanks Powell. I think I have solved my problem.