• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gemini Calendar - my vision of calendar software

I love the 4x2 widget, but on my HTC Desire it only shows the next 6 events, when it looks like there's space for 10-12 events in the 2 home screen rows the widget occupies.
I am aware of that, it is on my to-do list.

Also, I'm seeing people refer to widgets. When I long press my Home screen, there are no Gemini widgets.
Widgets (three of them) should be available after you long press your home screen. Do you have any custom app launcher, like ADW? Does anybody else have problems with finding Gemini widgets ?

I love this app, is there a way to see all the events for one month on the window above. I can only display one day at a time.
Agenda View, Week View are coming in the future.

It kind of made me crazy trying to figure out how to SAVE !
I'm A$$-uming most phones have a Back arrow?
Maybe change the "Today" button to a Save button?
Agggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! ... you recently fixed an issue that was very frustrating. Pressing the 'Back' button cancelled instead of saving, which was inconsistent with the standard Android UI experience. You introduced an option to change that behaviour to saving instead of cancelling. Brilliant. Except, when you select that option, it changes the old 'Save' button to 'Cancel'. So now, when you've eliminated the possibility of losing data through the back button, you've introduced the possibility of losing it through following your old method (flicking down and pressing the left on-screen button)! It's extremely annoying
:D LOL, proverb for the developer: "Whatever you do, you will NEVER meet the user's requirements". Just kidding.
The Cancel only in Menu (it is already there) would solve your problem. Perhaps I will add the preference settings for this ("Show cancel button - yes/no").

Would it be possible to have a default event length?
Yes, I did some attempts to implement this feature, but there was always something more important to do. I would personally use this very often, so I agree, it would be nice.

Would it be possible to have a default time for the events? I know it's normally 12, which is fine, but when I'm setting an event for the next day and it's gone past midnight, the default time switches to the next hour which is 0100, so it's annoying to have to flick the time up to later in the day
Interesting, I will think about this.

Where does progress stand on this? You do include the option to use google colors in agenda view, why not make it an option for dots AND lines also in calendar view? To me, this just makes sense, especially if it is an option the user can turn on or off (like we can now in agenda view).
It is also coming.

As for the alarms - I have some problems with this feature, mainly because of the differences between the alarm implementation in different makes of phones. Samsung for example seems to have it implemented in its own way, on some devices it is not possible to turn off the reminders of the stock calendar, there are some other problems, that need to be considered. I am working on it.

By the way: I assume, that some of you, taking part in this thread, have not checked your private message boxes. I sent to some of you PM's and never got answers.

Reactions: 28064212
Upvote 0
Version 1.0.2 uploaded do the market.

New features:
  • Attendees displayed in the event details, with the status of each attendee (accepted, maybe, not accepted),
  • Dutch translation
  • Swedish month names, forgotten in the previous version
  • New date format: DD-MM-YYYY
  • Some graphics alignment fixes

This version does not allow to edit/add attendees.
----
I have reports, that on the ModaCo and CyanogenMod ROMs this version has misaligned graphics - I am working on this, I would appreciate volunteers, who would like to test Gemini on their devices with custom ROM installed. Let me know - send email.
----
And here is the question to the user, who does not see Gemini widgets (@JohnDaddyo) - do you happen to have Gemini moved to the SD card ? This feature (App2SD) theoretically must be allowed by the developer and I have not done this, but I know that on the custom, rooted ROMs, there are tools to force moving application to SD card.

Reactions: Ambassador Dave
Upvote 0
:D LOL, proverb for the developer: "Whatever you do, you will NEVER meet the user's requirements". Just kidding.
Oh believe me, I know, I'm a programmer too (desktop rather than apps though). The problem wasn't the implementation, it was the failure of the user to specify the requirements in the first place :D

The Cancel only in Menu (it is already there) would solve your problem. Perhaps I will add the preference settings for this ("Show cancel button - yes/no").
Sounds good :)

Upvote 0
Using version 1.03.

1. Gemini 4x1a Widget

When I tap on the box with the date in, up comes the calendar in month view; when I tap on the list of the next three entries, up comes today's page. Surely those should be the other way round?

Also, in the box with today's date, I see that the month and day are aligned with the Mobile Paprika symbol. This is obviously a personal preference, but they are misaligned with respect to each other and I think it looks odd. Does it look any better if they are centered in the box instead?

2. Sub-text (description) display.

A suggestion. If the "Description" field is empty, can you display the "Location" field in it's place. Or even all the time, with a "..." box which pops up the description, as this might be longer than a few words.

3. Location vs Google Maps.

Do you think adding a button to find the location you enter using Google Maps would be useful? Then from an event, the user could easily find how to get there.

4. Month navigation.

Can you make the date numbers in the months before and after the current month move to that month and select that day? For example, this month, I could tap on the "30" just above "6" and move to December and have the 30th selected. Keep the entries grey, just make them "active".

5. Calendar colours

The choice of colour set seems to be the wrong way round.

I have the "Calendar color" setting unticked, so I would expect the colours used to be from the internal table. When I go to "My Calendars" menu option, I see what I assume is the internal table colours? But those colours do not match. They match if I tick the "Calendar color" option.

Is it possible to change the internal table colours?

6. Unrepeatable display bug.

Sorry, have only seen this once. In the month view, the main text of an entry was cropped short, going to only about halfway across the screen. Maybe a blank field on the other side was obscuring it or something, but I have not been able to repeat this. I'm keeping an eye out for it, though, and thought I'd mention it in case you had an idea about what caused it.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
And I even bookmarked your 'mobilepaprika' website before I wrote my question above! That'll teach me to read more first. Doh ....

Thanks for the answer, confirming what I was thinking. No, I don't sync with Google, just with the Outlook calendar on my PC. But this raises the question of why, during a sync with Outlook, can an 'Outlook recurring' event' not be translated into a 'Google recurring event' so that single-event deletion is possible. Can it be done do you think?

Thanks.

Dave

First of all, thank you for this app! It is the closest to Palm calendar that I have found. I, too, am having problems editing or deleting an event in the middle of a series. I looked at my events, and everything is set up as PC Sync. Is there a way to change this to sync with Google calendars online? If I can do this I will be happy to register... it is well worth the $. This is the only issue holding me back.
-Michele

Upvote 0
I found a new thing that I would like to be able to do that I can't.

When I set up a new recurring appointment on, let's say Thursday, of the last week of the month, I would like to be able to choose either the 4th Thursday of each month, or the last Thursday of each month. I can kind of do this online in Google calendar, but it only gives the "last week" option if I am on a 5th week.

Any chance of this working?

Thanks

Upvote 0
One feature from the similar App "ThumbCal" on Windows Mobile that I would very much like to see would be the ability to scroll by day, by swipe left/right on the day view ...

It is already implemented. Double click on the desired day and you will see the Day View. You can then swipe to the next/previous day.

As for the "last Thursday" thing - I had done some research in the past, trying to figure out, how to code this repetition mode. It does not seem to be possible yet.

BTW: I had a one week vacation and I was out of office for some time. I will try to get back on track now :)

Upvote 0
Damn tests hadn't time to follow the recent developments (except what i see through updates)

One question, would it be possible to switch an existing event from Calendar A to B in gemini?
I often create an event, and notice through the colour in the overview that a (again) put it in the wrong calendar.

Otherwise i don't know anything that i want more from my Calendar App.

I use Gemini for nearly a year know, it was much better than the stock calendar than, but seeing the development is just great - i hope more people will discover it, because i pretty shure they will like and use it

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I have noticed that I can set alarms for every calendar but only the main calendar's alarm will sound. Is that correct or just something I have wrong in my settings somewhere?
No, this is not a usual way it works, alarm should ring for every calendar that is in your system.

one qurestion about the licence system, since it's not bound to the google account, what will happen if I :
- buy a new phone ?
- flash a rom - have to wipe all data ?
Gemini Calendar licence is bounded to the device (hardware). So you may wipe your data, flash ROM etc. and you will still have the licenced Gemini (you will have to enter the RegCode again, of course).
Changing the phone to another, however, will require a new Registration Code. This is how it works now.

Upvote 0
Thanks for clearing this up, that the licence is bound to one phone was pretty clear, but knowing that wiping is no problem is great, thanks

I really can't say anything new about the calander, it is wayyyy better than the stock, it doesn't crash nore has other bugs, the only feature i could need, is changing the calander of an existing event

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones