• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

General use of ringtones

Vanquished

Android Expert
Nov 2, 2010
USA
I was talking to a friend about the different ways you can use ringtones and how Android does not let you select custom ringtones for things such as notifications (texts, email and so forth).

Every non smart phone I have had has let me choose whatever ringtone I had put on the phone for any function. My first smart phone, the Samsung Instinct, let me do that as well. For an OS that is supposed to be 100% customizable it seems kind of odd you can't really customize what sounds play for your texts and emails.

If you want a specific mp3 to show up for a notification, copy the file to your SD card into the media/audio/notifications folder. If you want a ringtone to show up copy the mp3 to media/audio/ringtones. If those folders don't exist, go ahead and create them and then copy the files. You can set personalized ringtones and notification tones for just about everything.

Upvote 0
Download rings extended and you can select any sound on your SD card for any sound you want to set. Alarms, notifications, etc. Or, if you want to go the organized route like I do. On your sd card create a folder called media, within that create audio, within that create three folders called ringtones, notifications, and alarms. Drop your files in the respective folders and they'll come up when you go to set those tones. I'm a little surprised that you didn't already know bout that since you have over 400 posts! Learn something new every day I guess. :p

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
Every non smart phone I have had has let me choose whatever ringtone I had put on the phone for any function.
Android does as well. Make sure you're sticking your files in the proper location(s). Ringtones for ringtones, Notifications for notifications and Alarms for alarms.

For an OS that is supposed to be 100% customizable
Citation? Open source doesn't mean 100% customization if that's what you're referring to. It can mean 100% customization but not directly.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones