1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General use of ringtones

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Vanquished, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Android Expert
    None

Nov 2, 2010
    Male
    Student
    USA
    I was talking to a friend about the different ways you can use ringtones and how Android does not let you select custom ringtones for things such as notifications (texts, email and so forth).

Every non smart phone I have had has let me choose whatever ringtone I had put on the phone for any function. My first smart phone, the Samsung Instinct, let me do that as well. For an OS that is supposed to be 100% customizable it seems kind of odd you can't really customize what sounds play for your texts and emails.

Advertisement

2. Howie

Howie Android Expert
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    IT
    Central NY
    So you cannot select a new sound when you go to a specific app then settings? I can do that for every app individually

3. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    MP3 sounds need to be in a notification folder in order to be used as notifications

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    If you want a specific mp3 to show up for a notification, copy the file to your SD card into the media/audio/notifications folder. If you want a ringtone to show up copy the mp3 to media/audio/ringtones. If those folders don't exist, go ahead and create them and then copy the files. You can set personalized ringtones and notification tones for just about everything.

5. ashykat

ashykat Android Expert
    None

Apr 27, 2009
    Irvine, CA
    Download rings extended and you can select any sound on your SD card for any sound you want to set. Alarms, notifications, etc. Or, if you want to go the organized route like I do. On your sd card create a folder called media, within that create audio, within that create three folders called ringtones, notifications, and alarms. Drop your files in the respective folders and they'll come up when you go to set those tones. I'm a little surprised that you didn't already know bout that since you have over 400 posts! Learn something new every day I guess. :p

Gmash likes this.
  6. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Android does as well. Make sure you're sticking your files in the proper location(s). Ringtones for ringtones, Notifications for notifications and Alarms for alarms.

Citation? Open source doesn't mean 100% customization if that's what you're referring to. It can mean 100% customization but not directly.