1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Getting a new Droid X on Ebay...advice needed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mahler9, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mahler9

mahler9 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Male
    USA
    I really want a Droid X for the big screen and large on-board storage. (My current phone has 256mb storage). Got one Droid X from Ebay and the screen went all fuzzy with lines on the bottom 1/3. I returned it and found this was a common problem on the first Droid X's back in 2010. What I saw of this Droid X I did like, so I bought another from a different Ebay vendor. This one says it's new, unopened, etc...so I'm hoping it will be without the screen problem.;)

What I'm asking is, if this one has the problem, can I fix it myself by replacing the LCD screen, or is the problem an internal one needing professional repair? If anybody can help I will appreciate. I really want this phone for the reasonable price I got on Ebay.

thanks!

Advertisement

2. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Let's cross that bridge if we come to it. Yup, tons of storage space. Had mine for 2 years and still like it! Check out the GPS and make sure it works. If not see my post in the Tips section.

3. mahler9

mahler9 Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Male
    USA
    Thanks. It seems to be working just fine, no problems with the screen so far. However, I noticed the SD card was mysteriously unmounted overnight.....? I rebooted the phone and it's alright now

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    swapping the LCD is a PITA and I do not recommend doing it yourself

5. bdclary

bdclary Well-Known Member

May 12, 2011
    Roswell, GA
    Not what I wanted to hear. Mine has "burn holes" (see thread in support subforum), and while I plan on picking up a new phone in the next month or so, I'd like to fix up the X for the kids to play with.

What about the process is a PITA? Specialized tools required? High risk of causing further damage to the phone? Are there decent repair guides available online?

Thanks in advance.

6. GandalfTehGray

GandalfTehGray Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2010
    Texas
    Hmmm would you be interested in purchasing a used one? Got a few dents and minor cuts but phone still runs fine.

7. quickaudi

quickaudi Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    The fact that the slip connections are held in place by a prayer and are very difficult to hold in place while holding the LCD, digitizer, and phone body while reassembling.