• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Getting Around Caller ID

V

valenoffw

I just signed up with Telus and got a HTC Desire and I'm trying to avoid paying for Caller ID. I've tried saving my contacts on my sim card, my phone, and my sd card, but whenever someone calls me it always shows as unknown.

Is there a setting or trick to getting Caller ID for free? By the way, all my contacts were imported from my Gmail account where I have their full name, phone numbers, emails etc. Is this enough for my phone to recognize who is calling and show it?

If you do not subscribe to Caller ID, when the phone call comes in your phone will have no way of telling who is calling. Basically TELUS just sends a 'ring' to your phone.

Once you subscribe to Caller ID, TELUS sends a 'ring' plus they encode the 10 digit phone number that is calling. This is what your phone uses to lookup who is calling. If it finds a match in your contacts, it will display their name and/or picture.

Hope that clarifies the situation for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones