• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread NEWS and SPECULATION: All 2.3 Info Will Be Merged Here

When will Samsung drop Gingerbread on the Galaxy S?

• Beginning of Summer

Votes: 18 12.4%
  • Beginning of Fall

Votes: 25 17.2%
  • Will look nice under the Christmas Tree

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • Snowball's chance in hell, ie. never

Votes: 63 43.4%
  • Right after the Flyers win Lord Stanley's Cup

Votes: 10 6.9%

• Total voters
Gingerbread for the Epic has memory leaks and other issues. Generally most seem to have sporadic random reboots. There's a reason Gingerbread isn't official yet, so if you want to play with the latest and greatest, then go for it. If you'd rather have reliability as well as no keyboard issues, stick with SRF1.2 or Bonsai. They run off of Froyo and are highly tweaked, trimmed down and such.

Upvote 0
gb for epic has memory leaks ... and doubtful that they'll ever be resolved ... just make the most of froyo roms, it's not THAT bad ;)
Agreed, I took the plunge and rooted with SRF 1.2, Genocide 2.0 (With Journalling), and the EH17 modem. My phone is finally stable, battery life is acceptable, and I can really use my Epic like it was intended to be used.

Reactions: Maverickc5
Upvote 0
I seriously can't believe they already have Ice Cream Sandwich out already and we're still stuck on Froyo! This is ridiculous.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything about the Epic 4G's hardware that would prevent it from running ICS? The only reason I ask is the quote below (my phone is unrooted and currently running 2.2.1):

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich: everything you need to know | News | TechRadar UK

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update

Google has confirmed it is working on an Android 4.0 update for the Samsung Nexus S and other Android devices.

Director of Android operating system User Experience Matias Duarte told Engadget that Google is. "Currently in the process for releasing Ice Cream Sandwich for Nexus S. Theoretically it should work for any 2.3 device."

Upvote 0
I'm really sad we haven't gotten Gingerbread yet while the cruddy little Optimus S has...

I really hope we see it soon. I want the green (and much more accurate) battery, as well as the 4 green bars and wifi indicator on top of the black status bar.

I honestly can't imagine why the Epic hasn't, when many of Samsung's older and cruddier devices have? Is it just my terrible luck?

Upvote 0
Maybe a glimmer of hope?

Check out http://opensource.samsung.com. There, you'll find a file for the SPH-D700, that appears to be Gingerbread. I check this site often, and the last time I checked, it wasn't there.

I don't know its contents, and I haven't attempted to install it for myself yet. It does look like it requires some work to install it on your phone.

I downloaded my Froyo update for my Epic from here, as well as 2.3 for my Galaxy Tab. Both were the official Sprint updates. Perhaps this is finally the sign of some progress for us Epic owners.

If someone has already mentioned this link, please forgive me for missing it in the 300+ replies.

Upvote 0
You are right about that because it usually isn't there until after its been pushed out. That's what made me scratch my head because it was released before everyone else got it OTA. I'm wondering if its to get some of the developers out here to try and fix what they can't do. They put it out there just long enough for others to get it and play around with it. They better compensate anyone for any fixes they make as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't someone from ACS just get hired to Sprint or Samsung? I thought I read something about the lead developer of Cyanomod or whatever its called getting hired on with Sprint I believe it was. That actually kind of scares me because when you work for a company, anything you create or build is owned by the company. They say things won't change but if they own anything he creates they can bury or keep from being out in the public. I don't trust them but I guess we'll see what happens. I'm hoping he fixes all the problems they can't figure out.

Jim

Upvote 0
So aside from the fact that the Samsung Galaxy S 4G bring from T-Mobile and looking just a smidge different in its look, are the electronics pretty much the same as the Epic 4G? Are the OS' differences between Sprint and Verizon/AT&T a big difference in how the code is written. I mean, I would think there would be some differences since the phones have to talk to their specific towers and such but if not major differences would there be any way any of the talented developers here or the other forums be able to make changes to the source code so the things that are carrier specific be written into the T-Mobile version for their Galaxy S?

I'm thinking not because that would just be to easy but thought I'd ask anyway. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean too easy in writing the code but too easy in that someone would be able to make the required Sprint changes to make it work on our Epic's. Maybe I'm just reaching out to another galaxy. :eek:

Well, guess I'll still be waiting around for a working one-click without a computer unless I can find a place that sells the Windows system software dirt cheap. Anyone know where I can get Windows Vista Home/Pro at ghetto prices? On disability so can't really afford to spend $100 or what ever the price is right now. A friend of mine was going to toss his HP a1710n computer out because it totally crashed on him and he decided to just get a new computer since that one's been out since 2006 so I asked him to give it to me. I worked on it for days trying to use the recovery discs to get it working. Accidentally was able to get into the command line and tried using some of the simple DOS commands I remembered from way back in the days when I use to doodle with PC's when Windows was still a child. All hardware checks out and all it needs is a fresh system install and I'll be up and running. I have a "copy" of an old Windows XP Pro disc and installed that to make sure the computer works. It's working fine but the problem is that its not an original XP Pro disc so I won't be able to register it so I have to purchase a Full Version of Vista or Windows 7 so I can start rooting and customizing my phone.

I would appreciate any info on any dirt cheap sales on any version of Windows I can use on the HP a1710n which I know is Vista for sure, XP Pro (Don't really want to go that route because of all the security issue's plus its from the stone ages.) and the computer meets the requirements for Windows 7. Or if anyone wants to sell their original full version of Windows at a reasonable price please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones