• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gingerbread undate fails

polom79

Lurker
Jun 3, 2011
Downloaded Gingerbread update, try to install it to only get the exclamation triangle. Pulled the battery repeated a few times. Did a factory reset of my phone n did the same as above only to get the same results.

Talked to Verizon and Motorola n the only suggestion they had was exchanging the phone.

Any suggestions on how to finally get Gingerbread on my phone?

SBFing erases everything on your phone! I used Titanium Backup to backup ALL my apps before I began. It just makes it easier to restore your phone to "like you like it" status afterwards.

I followed the instructions on this page to SBF back to stock 2.3.340 from ApeX 1.4.0:
Complete Droid X .sbf Flashing Guide

It has links to the files page here:
Droid X SBF

You will need Current SBF file (VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF_01.zip)
(DO NOT USE Older SBF files!)
Windows Utility RSD Lite 4.9 (if you are using a Windows system to connect your phone)
The current Motorola USB drivers

Update your Motorola drivers 1st, then follow the first two instructions on the Flashing Guide:
Put phone in bootloader
Use RSD Lite 4.9 to SBF the phone

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY! Don't miss any steps (like the SBF file has to be unzipped before it it used, etc)
It will take a few minutes (10 to 20) and it is finished when the phone reboots (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS)
My phone got stuck in a reboot loop, but as per the FAQ on the Flashing Guide page a factory reset fixed the issue.

Your phone is now just like it was out of the box (except it's got Froyo instead of Eclair). Setup the phone and enter your Google account. From here you should be able to check for updates and get the GB OTA update. If you do this, you will NOT have root until someone cracks it for GB. None of the current exploits work.

I followed this page to get GB with root:
Official DX Gingerbread 2.3.3 (4.5.596) Release Thread - Something for everyone

I used the 2 Part method (Patched update.zip (not signed))to get GB with root. 1st you root the phone with z4root while it's still on Froyo then use Droid2 Bootstrap (not DroidX Bootstrap) to install the two parts one after the other. Went like clockwork, and I've had no major issues since the manual update. Once again, READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones