• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingerbreak 1.2 not working on week old X2

CJP

Lurker
Dec 24, 2009
Gingerbreak 1.2 goes through the motions, seems to be working, and the phone reboots, but root is not achieved.

Is there any procedure available to root this phone? Even a temporary root?

For the time being I'd like to push one file into /system/framework (framework-res.adk).

Thanks,

Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phone details:

System version
Version.1.2.148.MB870.Verizon.en.US

Model
Droid X2

Android version

Baseband version
n_03.13.23s

Kernal version
2.6.32.9-00049-g1e05fe4
mqr374@nj05lnxdroid01 #2

Build number
4.4.1_274_DTN-14.8

ERI version

PRL version

I really wish people who don't have the X2 would quit "helping" by giving bad advice. :rolleyes:

Actually, Gingerbreak works just fine with Froyo on the X2, or at least it did for me and the several other rooted X2 users on these forums when the device first rolled out. Looking at the specs in the OP, it appears I have identical information with the exception of the PRL although that should have nothing to do with the ability to root.

Are you sure you are not rooted after installing and running the GB APK? Do you see the Superuser app in your app list?

Reactions: CJP
Upvote 0
ESmith, you called it. I was rooted. The denial of access was because the partition was not mounted RW. I tried AndroidCommander and File Expert, but I wasn't aware that after rooting, I had to further tell the interface(s) that I wanted RW access. File Expert has a setting under Filer Explorer Settings called Root Explorer that has to be checked off.

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
Okay, I don't know if I'm rooted or not. I have enabled root access for File Expert and it acts like it's letting me cut and paste into the /system/framework directory, but the original file stays in place. AndroidCommander notates Root=no.

These adb commands are not working:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb devices
List of devices attached
TA054029VA device

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb remount
remount failed: Operation not permitted

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount: Operation not permitted
$ ^C

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
failed to copy 'framework-res.apk' to '/system/framework/framework-res.apk': Read-only file system

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb root
adbd cannot run as root in production builds

Su does not change $ to #:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
$ su
su

Root Checker shows the following detailed results:

Congratulations! You have root access!

Standard su binary location:
/system/xbin/su: No such file or directory

Alternale su binary location:
/sbin/su: Permission denied

Root user if:
uid=0(root)

Root group id:
gid=0(root)

Does anyone have any ideas of what can I do to fix?

Thanks,

Chris

Upvote 0
I really wish people who don't have the X2 would quit "helping" by giving bad advice. :rolleyes:

Actually, Gingerbreak works just fine with Froyo on the X2, or at least it did for me and the several other rooted X2 users on these forums when the device first rolled out. Looking at the specs in the OP, it appears I have identical information with the exception of the PRL although that should have nothing to do with the ability to root.

Are you sure you are not rooted after installing and running the GB APK? Do you see the Superuser app in your app list?

i never said it wouldn't work. I was just stating that your using a rooted method that was not intended on trying to do what the OP was doing. If it worked for you , him and anyone else then that is great.

I actually take offense to the first part of your statement.

Upvote 0
I have not used the apps you mention, nor tried to edit contents of phone via ADB since rooting my X2. I can move and edit files on my phone using Root Explorer after changing the settings to R/W. The SuperUser app shows that RootExplorer has root rights.

Do the programs you want to use appear in the "apps with rights" list in SuperUser? Also, I may be mistaken, but I believe that the GingerBreak app must remain on the phone after gaining root. The root method seems software based which is different than how I originally gained root on the D1.

Upvote 0
I was able to get the abd shell to perform with su. Someone led me to look at the phone when I was typing su in abd shell. The phone was asking for permission, which was opting out after a few seconds. When I approved the access within the window, it gave me the # prompt.

I also found out that adb push needed to have the volume mounted as rw, which I was able to do from the #.

After that, I was able to push a file into the system/framework directory. I bricked the phone doing it because the file I was pushing is apparently very picky (framework-res.apk). Luckily there's an SBF for the droid 2 now. :)

I'm not sure what the deal is with this root, as it only half-ass works. I rooted a Thunderbolt a couple of weeks ago and I didn't have any of these problems. For example, AndroidCommander on the PC reports no root access.

My next mission is to collect details on the ins and outs of fooling with the framework-res.apk.

Chris

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones