• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Gingersense ROM with 4G

What are the pros/cons IYO?

Beta 1 is nice:D I was having issues with bad downloads of mirrors. Downloaded and booted up 3 times with 3 different mirrors and every one had the same issue.

So........ I downloaded the mirror from virus because his virusrom.com download crashed. The mirror booted up perfect and have had only 1 reboot. A far cry from A0.1 and A0.2.

I also decided to partition per Virus's instructions in the Gengersense thread and I believe this is a must if you are going to run as a daily. But not necessary if you are going to try the rom;)

Otherwise, I like the lock screen and other things as well. I will run this for few days and see if I run into any other issues:D

I would recommend trying out sense 3.0, it's pretty cool:cool:

Upvote 0
I'm not brave enough to try to flash any of these yet. Too much risk IMO for losing all my data. Perhaps it's just the noob in me. I don't fully understand why one needs or has to downgrade their PRI as I've never done it. Anyone want to explain?

Thanks!

I was unsure at first but I realized that the 1.90 PRI was keeping my phone awake at all times with some of these roms from Virus. You can check in menu, settings, about phone, battery. Awake time and up time. If they are the same, I would recommend flashing the PRI 1.70.

Pretty easy, download from Virus's thread, boot to recovery, flash PRI, then reboot phone. Pretty simple;)

By the way, this has saved me battery life big time:D

Upvote 0
I tried B1 last night. Just seems really slow on my phone, and Maps doesn't work with GPS enabled, so meh, back to CM 7.0.3.1. I didn't like how it was hogging my phone's internal memory either. When it was syncing my google apps, I just had a slew of install errors due to insufficient storage. I saw that there is an option within Sense to move to SD card, but aren't apps a little less stable running from SD usually? I never really mess with it because I have tons of space on my phone's internal storage on CM7.

Upvote 0
I was unsure at first but I realized that the 1.90 PRI was keeping my phone awake at all times with some of these roms from Virus. You can check in menu, settings, about phone, battery. Awake time and up time. If they are the same, I would recommend flashing the PRI 1.70.

Pretty easy, download from Virus's thread, boot to recovery, flash PRI, then reboot phone. Pretty simple;)

By the way, this has saved me battery life big time:D

Interesting! I was always wondering why people would change their PRIs. So do this mess with nands or anything? Do you ever flash back to the current PRI or is the 1.70 all that and a bag of chips? :D

Upvote 0
I tried B1 last night. Just seems really slow on my phone, and Maps doesn't work with GPS enabled, so meh, back to CM 7.0.3.1. I didn't like how it was hogging my phone's internal memory either. When it was syncing my google apps, I just had a slew of install errors due to insufficient storage. I saw that there is an option within Sense to move to SD card, but aren't apps a little less stable running from SD usually? I never really mess with it because I have tons of space on my phone's internal storage on CM7.

Look at the rom download size difference. 83mb and 5mb for GApps for CM7, 377mb for the Kingdom rom. I hope you have more internal storage;) By the way, partitioning the sd card is a must if you are going to use this rom as a daily

Upvote 0
Interesting! I was always wondering why people would change their PRIs. So do this mess with nands or anything? Do you ever flash back to the current PRI or is the 1.70 all that and a bag of chips? :D

No this did not mess with anything, just a difference like PRL change. It will stay the same going from rom to rom.

I would only change per the developer's request;)

Reactions: cdadams1223
Upvote 0
are sure you want try this rom as your first? it is a bit more tricky then most roms out there. first, you need amon ra as your recovery or clockwork mod 2.6. second, you have to partition your sd card because the rom is quite large and there is not much internal memory. third, you have to downgrade your pri. that is a lot to do for your first. i would try some other roms to get some knowledge in then try it. but, if you are still wanting to, then we are here for you.

Upvote 0
are sure you want try this rom as your first? it is a bit more tricky then most roms out there. first, you need amon ra as your recovery or clockwork mod 2.6. second, you have to partition your sd card because the rom is quite large and there is not much internal memory. third, you have to downgrade your pri. that is a lot to do for your first. i would try some other roms to get some knowledge in then try it. but, if you are still wanting to, then we are here for you.

Thanks man I was searching for roms and I found that and it looked cool to me but I think you are right I dont want to brick my phone or somethimng like that also I wanted that rom because it uses the sense interface but you are right its to much for my first rom
Is there any rom you recomend me, I'll keep searching for roms.

Thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Thanks man I was searching for roms and I found that and it looked cool to me but I think you are right I dont want to brick my phone or somethimng like that also I wanted that rom because it uses the sense interface but you are right its to much for my first rom
Is there any rom you recomend me, I'll keep searching for roms.

Thanks again :)

Hi again look I just saw this rom i know its in the initial stages but do you think I can flash this without having problems or its still to advanced for me

thanks again

Upvote 0
Hi again look I just saw this rom i know its in the initial stages but do you think I can flash this without having problems or its still to advanced for me

thanks again

ok so here are some of my favorite sense roms kings unleashed r5, mikfroyo 4.61 (but i just saw that there is a newer version 4.62), koni's elite series III. if you want aosp (nonsense) try cm7 or kings unleashed gb roms. you can get those in my sig ref#2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones