• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Given my situation.....best place to get the Droid?

Smudgie

Apr 5, 2010
I want an HTC Incredible and the wife wants the Droid. Both of us are on separate lines and not the family plan and both of our contracts are up. Therefore each of us can use the NE2. I do not expect that the Incredible will be announced with any deals like buy one and get a Droid for free but I am hopeful. Can I just go to VZ and buy the Incredible and buy the Droid for $19.99 from Amazon or $49.99 from wirefly? Or do these deals only exist for NEW contracts? Thanks for any recommendations

Yes! You can! VZW employees will try to make two sales out of you because that's more money in their pocket at the end of the day (literally) but you can do just one upgrade in the store and if you so desire to find a Droid for cheap online, you can do that too. You'll just have to wait for it to be shipped to you. Now when buying online, be careful. A lot of them online deals are for "New Service Agreements" which means a new account, not an 'upgrade' to your line of service. Usually there is an option somewhere on websites that are selling the phones to buy it at the price for an upgrade which is usually not as sweet as a new agreement price, but it's still heavily discounted.

Upvote 0
I just got my Droid from walmart a week ago for $19.99. You can put it an existing account, the only catch that they fail to mention is that the line you are putting it on must be the master line. Which because you both have your account that should be the case. But if the line you want to upgrade is NOT the main line you can order it to the main line call Verizon BEFORE activate and just switch the line.

Thats what I did. My mom is the master line in the Family Share so i just ordered it to her phone which was ready for renewal and called verizon before i upgraded and they switched it to my number.

Upvote 0
I just got my Droid from walmart a week ago for $19.99. You can put it an existing account, the only catch that they fail to mention is that the line you are putting it on must be the master line. Which because you both have your account that should be the case. But if the line you want to upgrade is NOT the main line you can order it to the main line call Verizon BEFORE activate and just switch the line.

Thats what I did. My mom is the master line in the Family Share so i just ordered it to her phone which was ready for renewal and called verizon before i upgraded and they switched it to my number.
If you go this route and get the Moto Droid on your primary line and then switch it to the secondary line before activation, does that reset your upgrade eligibility on the primary line and preserve your NE2 credit so it could be used toward the Incredible? I have already pre-ordered the Incredible but thinking of canceling that order and doing what you described above if I know it will work as intended.

Upvote 0
Just had one thought...

What if I canceled my pre-order of the Incredible and ordered 2 Moto Droids on the current BOGO that VZW is offering on that phone. Then can I return the one associated with the primary line (within 30 days) and then get the Incredible? Would my primary line upgrade eligibility and NE2 credit be restored at that point??

Upvote 0
Once the Incredible is released, if the Droid is still BOGO, call Verizon and tell them you are wanting to get an Incredible but will only do it if you can get a Droid for free on your wife's line. They wont walk away from 2 new contracts. If they say no call back and try again you will eventually get to someone who will do it.

Upvote 0
I bought a Droid! from Amazon wireless. Good deal, and they are not writing a new contract, they are just selling you a phone if you are near the end of your contract. No rebates. Verizon (I worked with them, too) will handle any customer service after purchase. It does not need to be the primary phone (Walmart online needed it to be a primary as they are rewriting your contract). Check out the provider of the Walmart online deals as some of their reviews are very bad if a rebate is involved. Boni

Upvote 0
They state on their website that you need to be within 22 (or so, depending on your carrier) months of the end of your contract to get the price. (This is not the New Every 2 thing with Verizon, this is your 2 year contract they are talking about.) Verizon lets you upgrade 20 months into your contract. When I bought my Droid!, (It was $70 then) I was 20 months into my Verizon contract, and they approved my purchase through Amazon Wireless. Just my experience. Your results may vary. Boni

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones