• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gizmodo EVO 4G Review

Sounded good up intill i read the Verdict.

Verdict

The calculus for deciding if you want this phone is relatively simple: If you want the biggest, brawniest, most ridiculously muscular phone you can buy, it's the Evo. Just don't forget to top off the power before going into work.
gizplusplus.jpg
WiMax, in a phone! Weeeeeeeeeee.

gizplus3.jpg
A beautiful screen that's the size of a rugby field

gizplus3.jpg
Sprint's 3G network

gizplus3.jpg
An unabashed celebration of steroidal specs

giznormal.jpg
The camera's great...in daylight

gizminus.jpg
It's massive, like a squished carbon fiber brick

gizminus.jpg
Miserable battery life

gizminus.jpg
You're gonna wait a long time for fresh Android updates

gizminus.jpg
Monthly plans are pricey

Upvote 0
yeah, I wonder if video can be improved with software updates down the road?

I also disagree that the plans are expensive for what you're getting.

Also disagree that we'll wait 'a long time' for OS updates - you can bet HTC is porting Froyo as we speak. I'd guess we'll see it July or August.

Good review overall though - the screen looks buuuhrilliant in those pics.

Upvote 0
Anyone notice the EVO screen comparison looked pink and washed out compared to the Nexus? Inc has an updated display compared to Nexus, so even worse compared to Inc?

I thought the EVO had an updated display over the HD2? HD2 looks funky compared to the Inc, but perhaps there was a problem with the display on the Gizmodo test unit?

Upvote 0
Anyone notice the EVO screen comparison looked pink and washed out compared to the Nexus? Inc has an updated display compared to Nexus, so even worse compared to Inc?

I thought the EVO had an updated display over the HD2? HD2 looks funky compared to the Inc, but perhaps there was a problem with the display on the Gizmodo test unit?

That could be a white balance skew because of the AMOLED screen of the N1. My son has a Samsung Moment (another AMOLED screen phone), and the whites on it look blue compared to any other phone's "white". I like to tease him about his "blue-screened" phone.

Son - Sammy Moment on 2.1
Wife - HTC EVO 4G
Me - Jealous (Palm Pre)

Upvote 0
Fair review, but I posted this reality about all reviews before:

As for battery, again, anyone thinking they're going to buy any of the next-gen or high-powered smartphones with super long battery life just isn't accepting reality that current battery technology has been surpassed by the phone's capabilities. Sort of like having a car with 1000hp and 1000lb/tq but a standard 14 gallon tank. The small tank doesn't mean the car's not a performer, it means it will do what it can do within the limits of it's energy-provider/tank.

My final thoughts on people complaining about battery drain. Try this with your laptop running on only it's battery: open multiple internet windows and surf for a few mins, run a photo program or something that requires videographics use, connect to a video chat call, plug in multiple devices that draw power from USB, watch a few mins of video, listen to some music, and try to make a few VOIP calls, send some emails and IMs, play a few games of your choice, view/edit some MS Office docs, TRY to watch TV (your laptop probably doesn't have the ability to tune into TV stations so try Hulu instead), compose and send a few messages and emails via your text-to-speech including buying/downloading one if it didn't come with your laptop.

Then report back how long it took your laptop battery to deplete. Also report how much you paid for your laptop vs the $199 Evo.

I just don't get why people continue to harp on this phone. Any way I look at it and even with faults and short battery life, I can't see why the criticism is so strong. Just can't see it....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones