• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

tyler.evert

Lurker
Jun 29, 2011
Hey, I'm not sure if there is another thread for this topic but I was wondering if there is a global version of Froyo out there. I hate using AT&T's version because of all of the bloatware. It gets on my nerves. So, if there is a global version, would you mind posting a link to it? Thanks a lot! Tyler

There's no universal "generic" Android that will just automatically work on all phones, due to differing hardware. Some customization is necessary. That said, ROM hackers have been working hard for a long time now taking ROMs for other Galaxy S model phones and making the necessary tweaks for them to work (or work well-enough with minimal issues) on the Captivate. But they have to use these other ROMs as a baseline, and are at the mercy of what gets released for these other models.

Certain Captivate-specific features are often victims of this however and are lost, such as the Audience chip (voice processor, reduces background noise while speaking).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones