• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GMAIL and its syncing

Timm129

Feb 15, 2011
Is there a way to change the sync times on the optimus V? My phone checks (syncs) with GMAIL (email) about every 10-15 mins. This really seems to wipe the battery out during the day. It doesn't check the calendar or contacts as often. The calendar and contacts wouldn't need to be updated more than once every 3 days. The email account I would like to update every 4 or 5 hours. Is this possible??

Thanks

After a day of letting it sync all day I ended up with about 20% battery left at the end of the day. After turning the sync off I can end the day with about 80-85% left. I thought that maybe GMAIL used the push technology. I certainly don't need to sync every 10 to 15 mins. I'm going to leave it turned off and just manually sync the phone.

Upvote 0
After a day of letting it sync all day I ended up with about 20% battery left at the end of the day. After turning the sync off I can end the day with about 80-85% left.
Sorry, but this doesn't seem plausible. I'd say that there is virtually no way in which simply turning off Gmail syncing would yield such dramatic battery savings in a controlled environment (unless your Gmail account received so much mail that it would use data almost constantly, i.e., WAY more than every 10 to 15 minutes). I bet that something else changed during your SINGLE day of testing. Perhaps you were (subconsciously) doing less with your phone to try to prove your hypothesis.

If Gmail were the single biggest battery hog, this should be reflected on the Battery Use screen accessible though the settings. Have you checked this information when syncing was on?

Upvote 0
New Gmail v2.3.5 out.

What's in this version:

1. Save bandwidth and battery by only syncing priority mail
2. Use label notifications to mash up filters, labels, and ringtones
3. Remember 'Show Pictures' for senders
4. Turn off sticky message actions in landscape or all orientations
5. Better TalkBack support for accessibility
6. Performance improvements

article

Upvote 0
New Gmail v2.3.5 out.

What's in this version:

1. Save bandwidth and battery by only syncing priority mail
2. Use label notifications to mash up filters, labels, and ringtones
3. Remember 'Show Pictures' for senders
4. Turn off sticky message actions in landscape or all orientations
5. Better TalkBack support for accessibility
6. Performance improvements

article

It broke MissedIt... I just paid for that app! :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones