1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Gmail android phone privacy issues.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by eckles, May 18, 2011.

1. eckles

eckles Newbie

Hi. I'm new to android phones but I just checked on my Gmail contacts on my computer and Google has imported all the mobile/cell phone numbers and addresses from my phone to the computer. I haven't synced anything!! I deleted the phone numbers and addresses from my computer Gmail account and they've disappeared from my phone contacts as well now. Does anyone else find this an issue?? I do! How much say does Google have??? I've been into the old threads on this subject and can't find an option to unsync other than "people with mobile nos. only"

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Auto-sync is on by default - when you signed-in to your Google account for the first time a dialogue should have been displayed giving you the option of disabling it.

Menu/Settings/Accounts & sync
    lets you control all. You can disable auto sync globally or by selecting your Google account you have the option to disable data sync individually.

HTH

eckles likes this.
  3. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

No, but I don't wear a tinfoil hat either. Sync is desirable IMO as it's a method of backing up your contact data. That said, I don't use my gmail account. All my data is synced with my Exchange account.

If you don't want contacts sync then disable it or create Phone contacts instead of Google contacts. Phone contacts won't sync with your Google account.

4. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

You can backup your contact data by exporting your contacts to the sdcard. I don't sync my contacts with Google either and I backup my sdcard to my PC.

5. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time...

Welcome to the Android Forums!

The whole concept behind Android is connection with the cloud... or in this case Gmail. Android uses Gmail, by default, to manage email messages, contacts, and calendar entries.

When you refer to Gmail "on my computer", are you referring to the web interface to Gmail? Or do you have Gmail set up in your desktop computers email client?