• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gmail android phone privacy issues.

eckles

May 18, 2011
Hi. I'm new to android phones but I just checked on my Gmail contacts on my computer and Google has imported all the mobile/cell phone numbers and addresses from my phone to the computer. I haven't synced anything!! I deleted the phone numbers and addresses from my computer Gmail account and they've disappeared from my phone contacts as well now. Does anyone else find this an issue?? I do! How much say does Google have??? I've been into the old threads on this subject and can't find an option to unsync other than "people with mobile nos. only"

Auto-sync is on by default - when you signed-in to your Google account for the first time a dialogue should have been displayed giving you the option of disabling it.

Menu/Settings/Accounts & sync
lets you control all. You can disable auto sync globally or by selecting your Google account you have the option to disable data sync individually.

HTH

Reactions: eckles
Upvote 0
Does anyone else find this an issue??
No, but I don't wear a tinfoil hat either. Sync is desirable IMO as it's a method of backing up your contact data. That said, I don't use my gmail account. All my data is synced with my Exchange account.

If you don't want contacts sync then disable it or create Phone contacts instead of Google contacts. Phone contacts won't sync with your Google account.

Upvote 0
No, but I don't wear a tinfoil hat either. Sync is desirable IMO as it's a method of backing up your contact data. That said, I don't use my gmail account. All my data is synced with my Exchange account.

If you don't want contacts sync then disable it or create Phone contacts instead of Google contacts. Phone contacts won't sync with your Google account.

You can backup your contact data by exporting your contacts to the sdcard. I don't sync my contacts with Google either and I backup my sdcard to my PC.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the Android Forums!

The whole concept behind Android is connection with the cloud... or in this case Gmail. Android uses Gmail, by default, to manage email messages, contacts, and calendar entries.

When you refer to Gmail "on my computer", are you referring to the web interface to Gmail? Or do you have Gmail set up in your desktop computers email client?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones