• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Gmail Contact sync

El Presidente

Beware The Milky Pirate!
Jan 3, 2011
Scotland
Apologies if there's been a previous thread about this, but I can't find it.

When I look for the phone contacts in my gmail account, I can't see them. According to my handset, they're syncing but they're nowhere to be seen. The only trace I have of any Android devices connected to the account is a sub folder in contacts called "Starred in Android" which contains 2 numbers.

Also, when I click on a contacts name, some will have a box next to them containing this text -

<HTCData><Facebook>id:1009685414/friendof:100000564902699</Facebook></HTCData>

All the contacts are linked correctly on the phone.

Any ideas?

Apologies if there's been a previous thread about this, but I can't find it.

When I look for the phone contacts in my gmail account, I can't see them. According to my handset, they're syncing but they're nowhere to be seen. The only trace I have of any Android devices connected to the account is a sub folder in contacts called "Starred in Android" which contains 2 numbers.

Also, when I click on a contacts name, some will have a box next to them containing this text -

All the contacts are linked correctly on the phone.

Any ideas?

Giving this a bump as i have the same issue.
I don't understand how syncing an android phone's contacts to google is proving to be so problematic. All i want is for my individual contacts (including email addresses, phone numbers and profile pictures) to be uploaded. its so perfect in principal but it just doesnt work.

Upvote 0
I actually called HTC about this and apparently the phone numbers have to be set as google contacts for it to work.

Rather than mess around, going through every contact and setting them to google as opposed to phone, I just exported to csv and imported the csv from within my gmail account. Then merged them with the contacts/emails already there. After a sync on my handset, they're all present and accounted for.

This an Android issue and not a handset one by all accounts.

Reactions: bigdave78
Upvote 0
I actually called HTC about this and apparently the phone numbers have to be set as google contacts for it to work.

Rather than mess around, going through every contact and setting them to google as opposed to phone, I just exported to csv and imported the csv from within my gmail account. Then merged them with the contacts/emails already there. After a sync on my handset, they're all present and accounted for.

This an Android issue and not a handset one by all accounts.

:eek: Interesting, but really really annoying. How often do you input a number into Gmail contacts? probably never. One of the main purposes of this supposed 2 way sync should be to back up contacts you create while you're out and about in case the phone is lost. Absolutely pathetic the more i consider it - this is just like going back to save a csv file every other week to back up your contacts. HTC sense.com doesnt work either, the people section of that website is a total mess. Disgusted with it really.

The android contacts system is over complicated and far from fully resolved. :(

thanks for your help though mate.

Upvote 0
Here I was hoping that there'd be no problems with the new ICS, so it would have been stupid to make the switch to android before a good ICS phone came out. :( Anybody considering rooting the device to fix this issue? I wouldn't even know where to begin to do such a thing.

Or do you think we can expect a fix from Google soon?

Upvote 0
....Or do you think we can expect a fix from Google soon?

I'm sure a 'fix' is required, it's more a feature than a bug!

I like that I can switch handsets and take my Google contacts with me, but those work contacts don't tag along. Likewise i can leave contacts on my phone for colleagues to use, but take my personal contacts with me.

Yes, there are alternative ways of doing this, but choice isn't a bug.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones