1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Gmail inbox mails deleted from device

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by maxricard, Mar 14, 2011.

1. maxricard

maxricard Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi,

I am new with Android. I love the way it does a lot of things, though I am still having some issues. One that has me concerned is that the inbox of the mail client, in my phone, is erasing the inbox of my gmail account. it only leaves me a couple of mails in it. It is not deleted from the server and I can have access to them through the gmail client on the phone, but I still get this issue.

How often? not pretty sure. I have been using my droid for a couple of weeks now so a guess it's in a weekly basis.

I have read other threads about similar issues with exchange; still, none of them was the same as the one I am describing. I have checked for any configuration on the phone that might be set to purge or erase the inbox, but still no luck. I also noticed 3 new folder were created in my gmail account [imap/Sent], [imap/trash] and [imap/draft]; no recieved folder, so I assume it is somthing in the device.

I also have a hotmail account, but hardly use it since I get too many spam. So I gotta check if it is a general issue. Still, any help about this would be very useful.

I am using an HTC Desire, running froyo.

thanks in advance

Advertisement

2. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    First off, if you are using Gmail, you should be using the Gmail app, not the Mail app. Using the gmail app will delete anything on the server when you delete it from the phone.

3. maxricard

maxricard Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Thanks for your reply but I am using the mail app with my gmail and hotmail account. I just mentioned the gmail app, since this shows the actual content in the server, I could verify that my mails where still accesable. My problem is when using the mail app.

Any help is welcome.

4. sitlet

None

Apr 11, 2010
    Could you explain your question a bit better? I'm not sure I fully understand what you are looking to do.

Do you WANT the Mail app to delete emails from the server as well? Or you don't want it to do that?

5. maxricard

maxricard Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Hi,
    I will try to explain it better.

The situation: I am using the mail app with my gmail account to recieve and send my mails. This works well.

The problem: For an unkown reason, the mails that are recieved by the mail app "in my device" are deleted only in the mail app in my device. This happens without me performing any action; one minute I have 30 mails in my app, then I have just 4.

6. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    How is the mail app on your device configured? Are you using IMAP or POP3?

I believe that when using IMAP, you are accessing the Gmail message store directly. In contrast, POP3 accesses an separate message store where new messages are placed, but is otherwise independent of the Gmail message store.

Maybe this helps explain what's happening?