• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

GMail message not sent on Mobile Data connection

prepbgg

Aug 25, 2009
UK
While I was out today with "Mobile network" selected and an HSDPA connection I was able to update weather, view a Google Map, browse web pages and read GMail messages. However, when I replied to messages in the GMail app my replies were not sent. They sat in the GMail app with the word "Sending..." shown in red in the Inbox. I tried toggling the mobile data connection off and on a couple of times, but still no joy. As soon as I returned home and reconnected through WiFi the messages were sent within a minute or so.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I might do differently next time?

While I was out today with "Mobile network" selected and an HSDPA connection I was able to update weather, view a Google Map, browse web pages and read GMail messages. However, when I replied to messages in the GMail app my replies were not sent. They sat in the GMail app with the word "Sending..." shown in red in the Inbox. I tried toggling the mobile data connection off and on a couple of times, but still no joy. As soon as I returned home and reconnected through WiFi the messages were sent within a minute or so.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I might do differently next time?

Try it with 3G data being available .... I have never seen H in my area ... so not sure how or if it handles SMS properly ???

Upvote 0
Isn't H better than simple 3G? I'm not sure what you mean by trying 3G. Doesn't the phone automatically use the best available connection.

I'm not sure why you mention SMS. Surely GMails are sent via an internet ("mobile data") connection?

I realise that one thing I didn't try was using the WiFi widget to turn WiFi off (there was no relevant WiFi connection available at the time). Would this have made any difference?

Upvote 0
Isn't H better than simple 3G? I'm not sure what you mean by trying 3G. Doesn't the phone automatically use the best available connection.

I'm not sure why you mention SMS. Surely GMails are sent via an internet ("mobile data") connection?

I realise that one thing I didn't try was using the WiFi widget to turn WiFi off (there was no relevant WiFi connection available at the time). Would this have made any difference?

I am not sure which is considered better ... 3G or H ... never seen H in Wash DC area ....

"try in 3g area" I meant by that have you tried too send sms in and area with 3G ?

If you always have wifi on ..it will probably be constantly searching trying to connect to wifi ...

??? for anyone does H support SMS messaging ?

??? for anyone does SMS even need Data ... (on my old SE i could use GPRS for SMS ...which bypassed the carrier messagaing counter.) I will for now assume that SMS uses the cellphone to send/recv txt msgs ...

Sorry about skipping off your GMail message question ...
i just focused on message (as txting and not emailing) ...

But i have had the "waiting to send" symbol even in txt messaging ...

I rarely send emails via the phone ... but would have thought they use the data connection available ???

Upvote 0
I am not sure which is considered better ... 3G or H ... never seen H in Wash DC area ....

"try in 3g area" I meant by that have you tried too send sms in and area with 3G ?

If you always have wifi on ..it will probably be constantly searching trying to connect to wifi ...

??? for anyone does H support SMS messaging ?

??? for anyone does SMS even need Data ... (on my old SE i could use GPRS for SMS ...which bypassed the carrier messagaing counter.) I will for now assume that SMS uses the cellphone to send/recv txt msgs ...

SMS doesn't use data at all. It's a protocol of GSM network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones