• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help GN (Verizon) will not connect cannot connect with Gmail server

bluroot

Mar 13, 2013
I did a factory reset, and something went bad. Allthough I was able to boot up, and I was upgraded from 4.1.1 to 4.2.1 when I did the data wipe. Starting over, I should have had a prompt to connect with gmail and download my contacts, but this didn't happen. My People app is unpopulated, so I chose to connect to "sign into an account". While I am sure of my login input, it didn't recognize this, and then the process ended with a "couldn't finish - couldn't open connection with the server" error. My contacts are backed up to my PC, but I want to sync them to Gmail for the future, and I should not have to side-load the Play app (if that's even possible). I do have the web browser, and voicemail functions, and they work. Any clue where to go from here?

Hello welcome to the forum .
Thanks! I wish I could have joined under better conditions.
Well google framework needs to be reset and reboot then try to log on . Remember reset google framework app make sure u have good connection maybe with wifi or data and reboot .

I'm not sure I understand that. Is it the mysid zip file which I would be directed toward if I wanted to unroot my phone and return it to stock (I think I do for now)? I have done the factory reset, once through ClockworkMod and again after I was able to boot it (did something dumb while trying to flash a custom mod). If not the above, then how do I reset the framework? I trust it's not in my System settings, I just checked that and YIKES I'm missing the Development section (with USB debugging)!

Upvote 0
The problem is not your phone - it's Google. Effective Jan. 30, 2013, Gmail turned off the ability to create an activesync connection, which connects and syncs your email, calendar, and address book. While you still had an activesync connection it continued to work. But when you deleted and tried to recreate your connection, Google cut you off. There is a good PC Magazine article that explains all this. I tried to post a link here, but he forum disallowed it because this is my first post. If you google the term "google activesync" should be able to find it.

Upvote 0
The problem is not your phone - it's Google. Effective Jan. 30, 2013, Gmail turned off the ability to create an activesync connection, which connects and syncs your email, calendar, and address book. While you still had an activesync connection it continued to work. But when you deleted and tried to recreate your connection, Google cut you off. There is a good PC Magazine article that explains all this. I tried to post a link here, but he forum disallowed it because this is my first post. If you google the term "google activesync" should be able to find it.

I googled this, but I don't see much in the way of solutions for anybody who Google cut off - not even when I add "Android" and "cut off" to this! There's a few more posts that appear relevant when I search on "gmail cut off active sync", but with a closer look I see nothing relevant to lost connections, nor anything concerning a sort of google terror campaign against rooters. There is a memo posted on the Google site concerning Windows phone users now, as is so with everything I saw concerning a cutoff in July this year. If Google was to cut off Android users two months ago, I started using mine two weeks ago! But the bottom line is can I re-connect somehow? Right now I don't see any means on my phone for doing so which work. What do I have to do next?

Upvote 0
Well if so try and get into a old rom extract the google framework app and the gmail app from the system folder put that into the working system and make sure permission is set correct . Reboot 2 times and see if that works

Would it be as good to unroot with the right mysid (Jelly Bean)? Why does it sound like this is a particularly uncommon problem?

Upvote 0
It looks like Google's new roms don't contain the goolge framework, play, and some other apps (my phone lacks the Develoment settings too), so does this mean that anybody who does a factory reset, rooted or unrooted, should expect this great PIA that I'm stuck with? So the same would be unable to recover previously-synced data (at least through their phones) and unable to sync their accounts without finding these apps and installing on their own? If so, my guess is that there is no official Google hosting of the framework and apps, that it's hit-or-miss for those who go looking for an unpolluted copy? If this is the case, will someone please be so kind as to direct me to a good source for these? Pretty please!

Upvote 0
Well if so try and get into a old rom extract the google framework app and the gmail app from the system folder put that into the working system and make sure permission is set correct . Reboot 2 times and see if that works

Thank you - I'll give that a shot, if I can. By permission to you mean the outside sources line under security? I'm concerned that I won't be able to do anything which requires USB debugging enablement, which was under the Developer section and is now gone from my settings! Can you shine any light on that?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones