1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Go cheap and wait? Or stretch budget?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by RumiB, Apr 30, 2016.

1. RumiB

RumiB Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2016
    Hi, new here. I have to replace my beloved 2-year-old Note 3 that was water-damaged, and this is my first upgrade paying full price (ouch). I need to get an unlocked phone that will work on Verizon, and would prefer to stay under $300. I've been completely out of the loop, but it seems like there will be more options in that price range in the nearish future. So I'm debating between these two choices:

1. Go as cheap as possible and look for a new midrange phone in the next 6 months or so. (Looking at a manufacturer-refurbished Galaxy S3.)

2. Stretch budget a little past my preferred limit for a new Note 4 (from eBay, reputable seller).

Considerations: I rely on the phone heavily (in place of a computer, camera and GPS) but don't do anything fancy with it. Reliability is important, good camera, prefer removable battery and definitely expandable memory.

The Note 4 is tempting, but eBay/lack of warranty makes me nervous (no support after 30 days -- scary because Note 3 started randomly shutting off and needed replacing after a year). And I would not be buying a SquareTrade warranty due to high cost+deductible. If I went with #1, I'd be hoping to get the replacement from a store that offers a warranty.

Advertisement

#1 RumiB, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  2. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid.

Welcome to the site! :)

Are you only looking at Galaxy phones?

You can buy a 16GB Nexus 5x on Amazon for under $300 from some sellers. It's a current phone (not older like the Note 4 and Galaxy 3) and works on Verizon.

3. RumiB

RumiB Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2016
    Thanks! :) I looked at all kinds of things over the past week but all seemed to have some problem. They're all running together now but I think it was the camera that deterred me from the Nexus. ETA: Correction, it was the lack of a micro SD slot.

#3 RumiB, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Have you looked at LG phones? They're cheaper than Samsungs.

RumiB likes this.
  5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    RumiB likes this.
  6. RumiB

RumiB Lurker
    None

Apr 30, 2016
    LG G4 sounded great until I heard about the bootloop problem. And I was about to get a Samsung S5 until a friend said hers was unreliable and gave her a lot of trouble.

After reading more about S3s getting old and having problems, I ended up going with the Note 4. Thanks for the responses!

7. DonB

DonB ♡ Truth, Justice and the American Way !! ♡ ™

Nov 30, 2009
    Male
    18th Hole Of the Golf Course
    The problem is, you are going to hear things about all devices, so if you keep going buy the issues others have here and there, you will never decide on a device. The devices mentioned here are all good choices, and the preference will have to be yours. Sounds like you have your mind made up, so I would go with your choice and hope you have no issues, with it for the next 6 months, then you will be ready for your upgrade. ;)

svim and chanchan05 like this.
  8. Fox Mulder

VIP Member

Feb 19, 2012
    NYC
    Too late I guess since you've made your decision (and nothing wrong with what you decided) but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway.
    As a happy S5 owner going on 1-1/2 years, I'll say it's a great device but as with anything there will be troublesome examples and very often this has to do with problematic firmware from a particular carrier. It's possible your friend had one of those.
    Also in the future when you're looking for another device, check out Swappa where you can find previous-generation flagships in good condition for very reasonable prices. Unlike free-for-all sites like CL the sellers are verified as are the devices (ESN's checked) before they can be posted.