• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Go Launcher - Hottest home launcher

I've been using GO Launcher for a while now and can honestly say it's more stable for me than ADW was. I don't have any issues with incorrect counts on SMS or missed calls, etc.

I do have a question/request. Is there any way to theme this and if so, any easy for a n00b to do it? I've got a ton of ideas for launchers in general, but know squat about programming. :(

Upvote 0
The update did fix most issues I was seeing. But I still have one.

When I am docked and in landscape mode, the dock bar is at the bottom of the screen rather than the side. It covers up some of the widgets on the screen and makes it hard to press the widget vs dock buttons and vice versa.

Still love the program however....

Upvote 0
the only thing im noticing (and it was like this pre-update too), is that some of my icons seem to be a little aliased or pixelated. when i look at the same icons in LP they are smooth like buttah. does anyone know if GO is resampling at a lower resolution? perhaps this is done to assist in overall smoothness?

thanks for any insight, as that is the only thing keeping with LP for the moment.

Upvote 0
  • Home Screen bubbles with missed calls, unread messages/emails (ADW has an add-on for this, but their's is in its early stages
  • Resizing widgets (one of the reasons I won't use Launcher, and I don't want to pay for the paid version which you can do)

Suggestions:
  • Option for auto-alphabetisisation of apps in app drawer
  • Faster (will happen in time, I understand :))
  • Compatability with Desktop Visualiser - at the moment, I can't put a desktop visualiser icon on the Go Launcher desktop, unless I do it as a widget. Just a minor thing, that's all.

Upvote 0
I've noticed another minor thing that last few days.

I'm using the classic theme with default icons and have 'Phone' 'Gmail', 'App Drawer' 'Handcent' and 'Dolphin HD' in the dock and the background colour for Gmail, Handcent and Dolphin seem to randomly change colour, often between blue, green and brown?

Is this by design trying to tell me something, or just a random thing?

Anyone experiencing this?

Upvote 0
I've noticed another minor thing that last few days.

I'm using the classic theme with default icons and have 'Phone' 'Gmail', 'App Drawer' 'Handcent' and 'Dolphin HD' in the dock and the background colour for Gmail, Handcent and Dolphin seem to randomly change colour, often between blue, green and brown?

Is this by design trying to tell me something, or just a random thing?

Anyone experiencing this?

that's weird. i've never experienced this before.

Upvote 0
If you downloaded them when you long press and select Widget the next menu should ask you to use apps icon or a themed Go icon.
Thanks for replying. See screenshots:
The theme icons show on the home screen - there are two sets for autumn, those for the dock and those for apps.
But in widget locker, the autumn theme isn't there. I also can't tell where those theme icons might be saved in the theme files.
Any thoughts? Thanks again.
snap20110414_164737.png

snap20110414_164805.png

Upvote 0
hi all
just came back to GL after a break and have to say it
is looking much better. really like the app drawer.
got a very nice honeycomb skin on it. cool.

does restart a bit though :-\ but think that is a phone men issue.

I guess the persistence option means it remains active in
memory, but not too sure

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S, and I've had to switch to Launcher Pro (Free version), because Go Launcher was lagging too much. The problem may be compounded by my SGS running 2.2 (which has a publicly known lag problem), but Launcher Pro seems to be a lot faster.

Any chance of checking these performance issues out? On the whole, I prefer Go Launcher, but if it adds to my phone's lag, it gets frustrating.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying. See screenshots:
The theme icons show on the home screen - there are two sets for autumn, those for the dock and those for apps.
But in widget locker, the autumn theme isn't there. I also can't tell where those theme icons might be saved in the theme files.
Any thoughts? Thanks again.
snap20110414_164737.png

snap20110414_164805.png

To get the icon files first make a backup of the theme apk

Use astro to browse the apk file. The icons are located at res/drawable-hdpi

Copy/paste it somewhere on your sd to use the icons however you wish

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones