1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Good Format for Video for Android and Laptop

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by Michaeljc70, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Michaeljc70

Michaeljc70 Newbie

I've converted many videos for my phone, but am going on an extended vacation and would like to convert all my video (from Window Media Center, 720x480 res) to a format that looks good on my laptop and also plays on my phone. Is this possible or do I have to convert the resolution down to the screen res on my phone and have it look tiny on my laptop?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Honestly, I always keep my videos at the highest resolution possible, i.e. whatever the video is in. Any time you convert a video, you lose quality, so the less converting you do (or none) the better.

3. Michaeljc70

Michaeljc70 Newbie

Yes, but H264 mp4's in 720x480 wouldn't play on my phone.

4. They should play just fine as long as they are h264. They wont fill the screen since they are 4x3, but to make them 16x9 you would either stretch the video or crop and lose video.

5. Michaeljc70

Michaeljc70 Newbie

Looks like I am stuck with the lower res...the higher res played on my phone in MP4 format, but were way too skippy. I have a HTC Hero (overclocked) and it looks like it cannot keep up.

6. What bitrate did you use? You could just have too high of a bitrate.

7. I think the resolution is about 640*480 is suitable to Android phone. If the higher resolution, we need a much better one just like Desire

8. BitHeroes

BitHeroes Newbie

I also have a HTC Hero, and I just quickly convert to a resolution of 480x270 for a 16:9 movie.