1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Good news I wasn't aware of

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markdoc, Feb 15, 2019.

1. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I read this on the web at:
    https://www.91mobiles.com/hub/lg-v40-thinq-review/

I don't know the validity of the article, but I hope it's true. This is what I never knew and found important.

"Thankfully, the smartphone isn’t as fragile as competing devices, as it’s MIL-STD 810G certified, meaning it should come out unscathed if you drop it. LG has also furnished the smartphone with a layer of Corning’s Gorilla Glass V5 on both the front as well as the back, making the device immune to scuffs and scratches to a certain degree. Hell, you can even take it with you for a swim, since it also comes with IP68 ingress protection rating – talk about a complete package."

2. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I guess I should learn how to read.
    Love the motion pics!

3. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

I take these drop claims with a grain of salt. I've seen these gorilla glass screens crack when dropped in the right spot.

tube517 and markdoc like this.
  4. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I agree again, but it makes me feel a little better to read it. I stopped using HTC phones because they were glass. My HTC 10 was built like a tank and I thought making a cell phone out of glass was one of the dumbest things I heard. Why would anyone in their right mind would want portable, expensive technology that gets dropped, sat on and tossed be made out of such a delicate material as glass. Looks can be gotten with special paints on metal.(check out custom cars). Just so they break and can charge to fix. IMHO

PitCarver likes this.
  5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I wouldn't really put any sort of confidence on "military standard", that's just like saying, this lives up to the standards of the lowest bidder. It's glass, treat it like glass.

tube517, PitCarver and markdoc like this.
  6. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

That's why I have a case. (Actually 2)

joe71 and PitCarver like this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

What catagory(s) are LG actually claiming MIL-STD 810G standards for? I doubt it's shock, seen as the thing is glass front and back. And if you do impact it on a hard surface, it's as likely to break as any other phone made from the same glass materials.

#8 mikedt, Feb 15, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  8. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

They say, "it should come out unscathed if you drop it. LG has also furnished the smartphone with a layer of Corning’s Gorilla Glass V5 on both the front as well as the back, making the device immune to scuffs and scratches to a certain degree."
    That's what they say. It's up to us to believe it. However, LG is offering a second year of warranty for free to back up their claims.

mikedt and PitCarver like this.
  9. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

IMG_20190215_214407.jpg

mikedt and markdoc like this.
  10. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

markdoc likes this.
  11. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

I agree with your conclusion. I also saw that they never submerged the phone for any length of time. That, I think, is an important test that they missed.

12. KBU2

KBU2 Android Expert

13. PitCarver

PitCarver Android Expert

Attach1959_20160425_162841.gif

KBU2 and psionandy like this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好

KBU2 likes this.

LG V40 ThinQ Forum

The LG V40 ThinQ release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews