• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Apps and Google Accounts merging - Android impact?

FletchF

Dec 5, 2009
According to: What's changing : About the conversion - Accounts Help, Google will be merging Apps Accounts and regular accounts. Anyone know how this might impact Android?

I currently use an Apps account and a regular account both with a myname@mydomain.com login. Once I got the hang of which services used apps vs, regular vs. both (and how to tell which one I was using for what), this seems to work OK on the desktop. But on Android certain services like Checkout seem to only work with @gmail.com accounts. I wonder if this change will make things more or less confusing on Android...

Reactions: BoogieNYC
I too am interested. I had a problem with a Google Voice invite a few months back because it was sent to my domain's email (which I access through gmail/Google Apps), but when I log in to verify, it goes to my Google Account of the same email address (which is not the same as my Google Apps account, which is also the same email address). Confusing! Hopefully the merge goes OK. I noticed some effect to it when I access my services.

Upvote 0
Count me in too. My main concern isn't Google checkout though, it's when/if Tasks will ever sync with Outlook and which app on the Android side to use to sync with Tasks. Haven't gotten my Droid X yet, but when I do, my understanding is that I need to set it up with my me@mydomain.com Google address in lieu of one of my three or four gmail addies.

Any of you using Remember the Milk and/or Astrid? I'm wondering if I should hold off installing a Tasks app on the phone until after this merge is completed (and hoping that this represents -- somehow -- the fact that Google will upgrade App Sync to include Tasks).

Upvote 0
I completed (mostly) the apps/accounts merging process last night on the web. It looks like there's a limitation that these merged accounts cannot be used with checkout, so that limitation will affect both web and android. Otherwise, so far, so good, but I have more testing to do.
How do you go through the process?

That's a pretty big limitation then. If I merge an account, do I have to create another gmail account then just for android market checkout?

Upvote 0
How do you go through the process?

I received an email telling me that everyone would be transitioned this fall, but I could start now if I wanted. I'm not sure if I was selected at random, or if I signed up for something to get early access. If your Google Apps Dashboard doesn't have this option, then you probably just have to wait.

That's a pretty big limitation then. If I merge an account, do I have to create another gmail account then just for android market checkout?
Yeah, that's what I do. As I said in my first post to this thread, that's what I had to do anyway, so at least it's not any worse after the merger. Google Listen has a similar limitation. Otherwise, you have to manually migrate some of the previously Accounts-only services such as Reader, Voice and Groups memberships. Some of these might have been easier if I had read the various help pages more thoroughly before I dove in :)

The good news is that none of these complexities are android related and things like starred locations on maps now work a bit more transparently between android and the desktop.

Upvote 0
I hope this is the right forum for my question, here goes..

I have just started a new job and we use google apps for mail and calendar and I'd like to access my calendar on my Motorola Droid.

Currently my Droid is set-up to access my personal calendar at my google account (my.name@googlemail.com) and I can't see a way to get my google apps calendar to sync to the droid.

Is it possible to sync both calendars somehow?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I think Android is the impetus for making Apps domain accounts supported by all Google services. I updated my domain a few weeks ago and I'm pretty happy with it. In a desktop browser I can sign into just about any Google service with my Apps domain account, and Android apps/serivces are starting to support using Apps domain accounts now too. I use my Apps domain account as my primary account on my phone, so now picasa syncs to my gallery, and chrome-to-phone works too. I still can't seem to upload to Google Maps from MyTracks but that probably needs an app update. I think the Market Checkout problem is a limitation in the Market app, just like uploading to Google Maps is in the MyTracks app. In both cases I can use the service from a desktop browser, just not the Android app yet. So just a matter of time I think. The good thing about the Market/Checkout, is that the Market isn't using the @gmail.com secondary account for your purchase records. I purchased an app with my Apps domain as the primary and an @gmail.com as a secondary, and the license is tied to my Apps domain, but the transaction receipt was mailed to the @gmail.com account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones