• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google apps only (inc Maps) don't connect to GPS (maybe because of AppOps??)

prawn_guevara

Oct 13, 2011
So I have just realised Google apps inc Earth and Maps (and Chrome) will and do not connect to GPS, but other apps will. I've been racking brain for ages trying to figure why but I think it may be to do with the now defunct and unusable AppOps where I had turned off Google services access to GPS once before the App got closed down.

Now has this messed up my GPS on G products? How can I fix? Thanks help much appreciated.

Yes, this is likely due to app ops if you revoked google services ability to use the GPS.

Do you have root? I believe you need it in order to get to app ops on the newest android levels.

If not, you may need to either root or run the 4.4.3 factory image in order to recover those apps ability to have GPS

Upvote 0
Yes, this is likely due to app ops if you revoked google services ability to use the GPS.

Do you have root? I believe you need it in order to get to app ops on the newest android levels.

If not, you may need to either root or run the 4.4.3 factory image in order to recover those apps ability to have GPS

I do not have root, when App Ops worked you didn't need it - but I'm kind of amazed I wasn't given chance to reset App Ops changes before it got revoked?

Even after clearing App Ops data and uninstalling App Ops you're still left with App Ops changes? That's pretty crazy to me when it means you've taken away GPS ability on all of your google apps.

Amazing Google just didn't give me any warning over this.

RXpert is correct. As of 4.4.2, there's no way to change app permissions without root. (Another example of Mama Google knowing what's best for us poor uneducated users.)

Yes and Google have really messed my phone up now, not giving me a chance to change App Ops changes before they made the app unusable.

Upvote 0
I went through this exact same problem. Took me a while to figure out the setting that broke gps on Google maps.
For me it was google play service location. I used appOps X. Didn't think it would hurt anything but I was wrong. This is why companies discourages folks from doing things outside of the corporate wall. Sometimes we are just too clever for our own good. :)

Upvote 0
I went through this exact same problem. Took me a while to figure out the setting that broke gps on Google maps.
For me it was google play service location. I used appOps X. Didn't think it would hurt anything but I was wrong. This is why companies discourages folks from doing things outside of the corporate wall. Sometimes we are just too clever for our own good. :)

Did you fix the problem?

Upvote 0
So you've confirmed it works? That's great. I wasn't aware of that

Yes it works :) GPS now coming on in all Google apps. I didn't know this was possible to change all app permissions with that option - but when you press it it does say that. The app permissions is the key thing here - this is the only way to reset permissions I know of - clearing caches, data, etc etc doesn't and didn't work - only this reset all apps prefs did.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones