• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Debit Card

sfbloodbrother

Extreme Android User
Jul 30, 2012
Chicago IL
Google has no just announced the new Google Wallet debit card. It may last year earlier this year they said they were not going to have a debit card, now they have a debit card. I just registered for the new debit card it should be here within 14 days. The Verge: Google Wallet debit card announced, available now. Google Wallet debit card announced, available now | The Verge

Look what came in the mail today!!!

Attachments

• 1386040961152.jpg
    1386040961152.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 109
Upvote 0
Got mine over the weekend. I love the design of the card, but I'm not entirely convinced of the usefulness of it. I don't generally keep a whole lot in my Wallet account, and I don't really see the drive to top it off regularly when I already have other cards that I don't have to micromanage.

Hopefully they'll be able to get it to function as a proxy card in the future, so it would automatically draw from the default payment method already associated with my Wallet account. Until then, it's pretty much useless in my opinion.

Upvote 0
Got mine over the weekend. I love the design of the card, but I'm not entirely convinced of the usefulness of it. I don't generally keep a whole lot in my Wallet account, and I don't really see the drive to top it off regularly when I already have other cards that I don't have to micromanage.

Hopefully they'll be able to get it to function as a proxy card in the future, so it would automatically draw from the default payment method already associated with my Wallet account. Until then, it's pretty much useless in my opinion.
I think of the wallet card as a different type of PayPal account. It's not totally useful when you're buying things at local stores, but online sending money to people, buying things from online stores, and those people who don't want to give sir credit / debit card information will find that Google Wallet is useful. It may also be a good way to manage money for adolescent to children. Giving them a credit card well exceed a parent's limits s to watch they want them to spend. They can set a set limits for them to spend.

Upvote 0
I think of the wallet card as a different type of PayPal account. It's not totally useful when you're buying things at local stores, but online sending money to people, buying things from online stores, and those people who don't want to give sir credit / debit card information will find that Google Wallet is useful.

Agreed, absolutely - but the card doesn't really change any of that. I could already do all of those things with Wallet before receiving the card.

It may also be a good way to manage money for adolescent to children. Giving them a credit card well exceed a parent's limits s to watch they want them to spend. They can set a set limits for them to spend.

And on that note, any prepaid debit card would accomplish the same - though perhaps without the handy online management and realtime alerts. As it stands, though, I genuinely struggle to see a serious use-case for the Wallet physical card.

Upvote 0
To late for me. I've already signed up with ISIS. Is there an app to use the Gwallet card with NFC?

You mean the Google wallet app? :p

&I've gotta give a big BOO to ISIS... The carriers blocking Google wallet because they wanted to start their own competing product (ISIS) is part of the reason wallet really never gained mainstream use.

Upvote 0
You mean the Google wallet app? :p

&I've gotta give a big BOO to ISIS... The carriers blocking Google wallet because they wanted to start their own competing product (ISIS) is part of the reason wallet really never gained mainstream use.

Carriers suck!

Used my wallet card for the first time today! It was so cool, I swiped the card and that was it. The person was impressed to see the google logo on my card. I'm so cool.

Upvote 0
Received mine this weekend, one thing to note is that after their promotional period is over it will cost 2.9% to add money to your card via a credit/debit card (or after your first $250 added by credit/debit)

But it is and will be free to transfer money from a bank account (but it says it will take 2 days to be on the card where credit / debit is instant)

Everything is fee free other than ATM fees and credit / debit transfers

This will most likely be taking over my paypal account

Upvote 0
Received mine this weekend, one thing to note is that after their promotional period is over it will cost 2.9% to add money to your card via a credit/debit card (or after your first $250 added by credit/debit)

But it is and will be free to transfer money from a bank account (but it says it will take 2 days to be on the card where credit / debit is instant)

Everything is fee free other than ATM fees and credit / debit transfers

This will most likely be taking over my paypal account

Agree, this won't take over a PayPal account.

Upvote 0
I have actually been putting my wallet card to use, and I love the almost instant notifications I get when I swipe my card.

That's one of my favorite parts of using the Wallet card. It goes like this:

1) Pull out Wallet card.
2) Cashier/Waiter/Friends/Fellow patrons are all "Oooh, what's that? Where'd you get that? That's cool!"
3) Card gets swiped.
4) My Pebble buzzes. I glance at my watch to confirm the amount.
5) Cashier/Waiter/Friends/Fellow patrons are all "What?? How'd that happen??! That's cool!!"
6) Fame. Fortune. Buying things. With Magic.

Upvote 0
That's one of my favorite parts of using the Wallet card. It goes like this:

1) Pull out Wallet card.
2) Cashier/Waiter/Friends/Fellow patrons are all "Oooh, what's that? Where'd you get that? That's cool!"
3) Card gets swiped.
4) My Pebble buzzes. I glance at my watch to confirm the amount.
5) Cashier/Waiter/Friends/Fellow patrons are all "What?? How'd that happen??! That's cool!!"
6) Fame. Fortune. Buying things. With Magic.

Yes. Its very useful. However is there a way to get funds I to my wallet account without giving google 3%?

Upvote 0
Yes. Its very useful. However is there a way to get funds I to my wallet account without giving google 3%?

Direct transfer from a linked bank account instead of via credit card.

(PS: it says that a transfer may take three days, but it's always been just a few seconds before the funds from my USAA checking account become available to Wallet.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones