• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Maps: Absolutely a must have. One of the best.

Hi fellows,

I am going to make a whole summer bicycle tour in Europe. Please recommend me offline maps which fulfill the most of my requirements:
1. contain preferably every road suitable for bicycle
2. contain places of interest
3. contain information on relief, preferably a contour-map
4. contain positions of camping sites
5. contain railways and stations
6. contain probably locations of shops
7. preferably whole Europe or countries of western and central Europe
I am going to use it offline on Samsung Galaxy Ace (Android 2.2) on a 32 GB micro SD card.

Great thanks in advance if you can help me! Bye!

Upvote 0
Hi fellows,

I am going to make a whole summer bicycle tour in Europe. Please recommend me offline maps which fulfill the most of my requirements:
1. contain preferably every road suitable for bicycle
2. contain places of interest
3. contain information on relief, preferably a contour-map
4. contain positions of camping sites
5. contain railways and stations
6. contain probably locations of shops
7. preferably whole Europe or countries of western and central Europe
I am going to use it offline on Samsung Galaxy Ace (Android 2.2) on a 32 GB micro SD card.

Great thanks in advance if you can help me! Bye!
Have a look at Maverick, it supports OSM Cycle map and a lot of other maps. It caches maps as it goes or you can use Mobile Map Creator and download the maps to the phone.

Upvote 0
I'm planning to change my "old" cell phone this year and haven't made my mind between the IPhone 5 and the Samsung Galaxy S2. I'm in Canada and both should be available here in autumn ( I hope!).
I have a Garmin on which I've installed the Europeen maps. I am more than satisfied with the ease this GPS took me to all my destinations.
I wold like to have the same features on my next smart phone: free use like the Garmin, that is no internet connection; keep it pluged in like the Garmin so as to not drain the battery...
I was told that unless there's an antenna installed to lock in a satelite (like Garmin) you need an internet connection, thus pay.
Hope you guys can clear everything for me.

You will need an app that stores maps directly to your phone. I use CoPilot Live V8 and V9. (I like version 9 the best) It cost like $15 I believe, but well worth the money. Keeping your phone plugged in while using GPS is smart. It will drain your battery. I have an old harman/kardon GPS and that battery only lasted 4hrs off charger less than that when it got old.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones