• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google maps for a noob

sj24

May 5, 2010
Cape Cod
Hello, just got my Droid incredible last week and finally used the google maps yesterday, I thought the maps were accurate but had a couple questons about entering info, 1) Do you have to type in the whole address each time? my garmin would finish the word for you 2) is there a way to add favorites? 3) how do you delete old entries that i don't need anymore? and lastly, can you change settings? yesterday the map sent me down a dirt road, around a pond and through a cranberry bog because it was shorter than taking the paved road nearby. Thanks for the help, i searched everywhere and couldn't get the answers so i figured i'd ask the pros;)

I'm still new to the device myself, and would appreciate a little help here.

I frequent address X and with there was a better way than starring it.

I really wish I could voice search "Navigate to John Doe." and it would automatically nav to the home address for John Doe from my contacts.

I do know there is no dirt road avoidance, as a motorcyclist, this is an annoyance.

Upvote 0
I'm still new to the device myself, and would appreciate a little help here.

I frequent address X and with there was a better way than starring it.

I really wish I could voice search "Navigate to John Doe." and it would automatically nav to the home address for John Doe from my contacts.

You can. If John Doe is in your contact list, it will find him. I did that this morning. Uses the navigation app, not the maps.

Upvote 0
The settings, history, favorites etc are all linked to your google account online. It will use your saved locations and search history to autocomplete when you put in directions.

It's very slick the way it integrates, for example if you use google maps (online) to plane a trip, search hotels/restaurants etc and then go to navigate on your Inc all of those places are there for you to access without needing to type in full address etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones