• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google Music Issue

vice86

Jan 17, 2011
PA/NJ/NYC
Weird issue I'm having with tracks uploaded to Google Music

Let's say I have 3 albums i want to use to make a 4th compilation album.

Album 1 - Tim McGraw - Greatest Hits
Album 2 - Trace Adkins - Ten
Album 3 - Kenny Chesney - Greatest Hits

All tracks tagged correctly.

Now lets say i want to take a few songs out of each of those albums and make my own Favorites compilation album. I copy them over to the new folder I'll call Country Mellow...i retag all the tracks to reflect the new album name for these tracks.

So I upload Album 4 - Country Mellow to my Google Music account and they're all there ready for my listening enjoyment.

Next I upload Albums 1-3 to my Music account...its done uploading but each album is missing the tracks that I used to make the compilation album.

How is that possible? They're the same track names but tagged as a different album. You'd think Google would see the same track names but know its a different album...so upload it.

Yeah... I could be wrong but I don't think Google actually uploads and stores YOUR EXACT music files. I think Google uses song-recognition & analysis software to see if the song is exactly the same as the other copies stored on its servers and then Google just makes a note of the fact that the song is in your collection. From Google's perspective, there's no reason to store 300 million copies of Stairway To Heaven, and I guess Google tries to save space by uploading the exact same music file twice-- even if it has different album name.

Per Codesplice's suggestion, the proper way to do this is to create playlists which call up the songs in you library, not to have multiple copies of the same song in different folders.

But for me, it's far too time consuming to make playlists through Google Music and there's no good way to import my PC's many playlists into Google Music-- which is one of the main reasons that I stopped using Google Music and switched to MediaMonkey (which lets me sync all of my desired media and playlists to my phone). The other reason that I gave up on Google Music is because SD-cards are so cheap nowadays that there's no reason for me to play my music from Google's cloud. I can easily put my entire 14,000 song (~25GB) music collection on a cheap SD card, and use any of the music player apps that are better than the Google Music app (which I uninstalled from my phone).

Upvote 0
Yeah... I could be wrong but I don't think Google actually uploads and stores YOUR EXACT music files. I think Google uses song-recognition & analysis software to see if the song is exactly the same as the other copies stored on its servers and then Google just makes a note of the fact that the song is in your collection. From Google's perspective, there's no reason to store 300 million copies of Stairway To Heaven, and I guess Google tries to save space by uploading the exact same music file twice-- even if it has different album name.

Not in my experience. Early on I had uploaded some MP3s that were corrupted (bad CD rips from back in The Day). Until I went through and eventually cleaned out the bad tracks, I had a small handful of songs that would "skip" (like a scratched CD) when streaming from Google. I also had some tracks where the ID3 tag didn't match with the audio... so GPM would indicate it was Song A but actually be playing Song B.

Upvote 0
Not in my experience. Early on I had uploaded some MP3s that were corrupted (bad CD rips from back in The Day). Until I went through and eventually cleaned out the bad tracks, I had a small handful of songs that would "skip" (like a scratched CD) when streaming from Google. I also had some tracks where the ID3 tag didn't match with the audio... so GPM would indicate it was Song A but actually be playing Song B.
In that case, a "scratched" music file would appear to be a different file than an "unscratched" one. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that I read that Google tries not to repeatedly store the exact same song.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones