1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Google Now vs S-Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xaphiddy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. xaphiddy

xaphiddy Newbie
    None

Sep 17, 2012
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I tried searching on here and on Google and didnt find anything useful. I want to know what the difference is between S-Voice and Google Now, and if there even is a difference.

Advertisement

2. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Engineer
    A-T-L-A-N-T-A
    There is a slew of topics that came up with "S voice and Google Now comparison" search in Google.

Google

Google Now is superior to S voice. That's all I know.

3. tcope

tcope Well-Known Member
    None

May 19, 2010
    Sandy, UT
    As one Youtube video showed, S-voice is very good for controlling the phone. Google Voice Search (not Google Now) is better at returning info from the Internet.

4. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert
    None

Jul 15, 2010
    TN
    Having used both, I would agree with that.

5. Heisenberg123

Heisenberg123 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton, ON
    agreed totally

6. colobuckeye

colobuckeye Newbie
    None

Dec 6, 2012
    Male
    Colorado Dreaming
    Google now is supposed to be more intuitive, but it takes time to develop the extended features. I have been using consistently for about a month and it still is not pulling info up based on past searches.

7. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2012
    Male
    Houston, Texas, USA
    Mine finally did yesterday (kind of) after 16 days of use. It didn't pull up any info based on my past searches so much as it started showing cards with a single line in them of things I had previously searched for. I guess it thinks I wasn't satisfied the first time I searched and though I might want to search the exact thing again. Huh.

One really cool thing Google Now/Voice Search did was the other night when we were all hungry and sitting in the truck trying to figure out where to go to eat (nothing sounded good), I asked Voice Dearch to "Show me Italian restaurants near me". It showed me four of them along with reviews. We went to the closest one (following Google Now's navigation instructions) and left extremely pleased. We found ourselves a new Italia joint! The entire bill for the three of us (me, wife and son) came to $44 and that included the waiter's tip and tip to the jazz duet (who were fantastic). I came away a very pleased Google Now user! :D

8. cp1

cp1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 30, 2010
    Google now is better for searching. Make sure you enable location reporting on your phone. It'll tell you how long it'll take to get to work / home, warn you if there's traffic in advance of an appointment, etc.

9. Fuzzy13

Fuzzy13 Extreme Android User
    None

Dec 8, 2011
    Engineer
    A-T-L-A-N-T-A
    Do you have it set to pull from your actual searches? There is a setting for this. I know it's an obvious question but we all forget the obvious sometimes. ;)

10. barney_rebel

barney_rebel Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Markham, Ontario
  11. Roadie1015

Roadie1015 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 5, 2012
    Male
    Michigan
    S-Voice is supposed to be a voice assistant for searching the web, making phone calls, etc. It speaks back to you.

Google Now gives you automatic updates on weather, traffic, flights, etc. in the form of cards. It's not always very useful but the things it does is amazing. I was looking up a restaurant online from my pc and when I picked up my phone it gave me traffic conditions and drive time to that restaurant. Pretty cool, but at the same time when I tried to use it for something I actually needed (like a drug store) it gave me results like 45 minutes away (where I had just come from). Location Services drain my battery like crazy so I don't know why I bother keeping it on if it never knows my location.

Google Voice Search allows you to search Google using your voice but that's about it. It is much faster than S Voice for doing this though. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I cannot make phone calls with Google Now or Voice Search. If I say "Call Billy" it will only bring up a bunch of local businesses. Never really tried texting or opening programs, just assumed it wouldn't work.

12. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Google Now is good for reminders and events too. You can tell it to wake you up in an hour, or to remind you to do something when you get home, things like that.