• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google play services

jofredericks

Jan 24, 2014
I uninstalled updates and forced stop on this app as it ate up over 50 megs of storage. While I haven't noticed any problems, I was wondering how to go about reinstalling it. The only option given in app management on the phone is to disable it. What if I want it back and have I screwed up my phone?
Also if I want to do a factory reset, what's the best way to back up my phone so I don't lose data?
Any input would be helpful.

I uninstalled updates and forced stop on this app as it ate up over 50 megs of storage. While I haven't noticed any problems, I was wondering how to go about reinstalling it. The only option given in app management on the phone is to disable it. What if I want it back and have I screwed up my phone?
Also if I want to do a factory reset, what's the best way to back up my phone so I don't lose data?
Any input would be helpful.

I'm not sure which app are you talking about so I can't help you with that, but I can help you with the backup! Check out this article Helium Backup & Restore for a detailed explanation.

Upvote 0
The app is called Google play services. I still get updates on apps almost every day. When I bring up manage apps it still show up in the list, so maybe all I did was uninstall the updates. I have the phone set to ask before installing any updates because apps that were disabled kept reinstalling.
That being said, I have unlimited Google backup set to run daily. Would I still need Helium or will Google's backup suffice.

Upvote 0
Google play services is normally associated with google + which is pre installed on most androids nowadays. G+ is a media site I use it more so for the instant upload of photos. Dropbox does the same but with Dropbox you only have so much storage whereas g+ its unlimited. If your contacts are saved on gmail there is only one way to be certain is sign in on a desktop or labtop to your gmail, right above compose there is gmail with a down arrow select that and go to contacts and verify all are there if your not a 100% sure already. Is there anything else you need to save? You can always disable google + in settings app manager and see if that helps your issue!

Upvote 0
I had already disabled Google+ as I never use it. I have a couple of games loaded, and a few small apps. I long ago moved whatever I could to the SD. There is just so much Metro PCS bloatware on this phone that -- between Chrome and Facebook -- most of the memory gets eaten up. It's really the only issue I have with this phone.
I'm better off than my husband. He bought this Alcatel and an LG Optimus F3 for himself. This Alcatel actually works better than the LG. He doesn't have the option of moving things to the SD card easily and constantly gets low memory messages. He seldom uses the phone and actually prefers his old Tracfone flip style LG. He bought it so he would be able to access the internet. What a waste.
Anyway, my contacts are all there and I'm not having any issues with the phone at the moment. I was just wondering . . .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones